Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica Auto S2 and moving lens (once ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Konica Auto S2 and moving lens (once again) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nicolas

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know that the subject has been already posted but I can't find the final answer to my trouble.

I got a very nice Konica Auto S2 and the lens seems to be a little loose. I checked the bronze ring under the front part of the lens, the tigthtening of the rear screw from the back of the lens (in fact I wasn't able to screw or unscrew it!); removing the top cover and lower cover, I checked that the base plate of the lens was properly screwed to the body. Everything seems to be fine but my lens is still moving?! Is there another part to check?

Thanks for your help!

Nicolas

CJ

Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Nicolas,

I'm in the process of flushing the aperture & shutter blades of an otherwise nice Auto S2, and sure enough, the lens on mine had too much play in it, both prior to disassembling and after.

I'm tempted to say this is just the nature of this beast, but I'd love to find WTF that darned looseness is. I'll be sure to post anything new that I find that might explain this.

-CJ

Nicolas

Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks CJ for your support: nice to know that I am not the only one!

But I can't imagine these cameras being sold as it; there is something wrong, but what???

Denis Deslauriers

Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi , I just received a superb condition Konica, also with a "strange looseness of the lens".... dunno I am putting my first roll through it. It is probably OK but in an otherwise perfect camera...

WernerJB

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 05:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The cure for this is dead simple on an S 2: removal of both the name plate around the front lens and the front lens group (usually comes out easily on a Konica) offers access to a brass retainer ring in crown design above the cocking rack/shutter mechanism. Loosen the locking screw half a turn, then tighten the ring screw that keeps the whole assembly in place. Do not overtighten it as this will prevent the exposure time ring from rotating smoothly, in other words, a certain play is necessary for the proper functioning of the whole thing.

Nicolas

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 06:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WernerJB, I did it already but it couldn't fix the problem...

WernerJB

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am very sorry, then, for the wrong advice, but on all of my Konicas auto 1,6, auto 2, plus the rebadged version (Revue auto 22) it was either the four screws of the front plate that had to be tightened or that retainer ring I mentioned. In one case, I remember, the helicoil had to be regreased and also fixed to make too much play vanish, but that particular camera (actually the one I now prefer) was an item for a complete knock down. I was then learning how to do it anyway and as focusing was hopelessly rough and wobbly, there was nothing to lose. Except on Minoltas (Hi-Matic 7s, 9) I have found it not too difficult to tame wobbling lenses (that is to say on Yashicas or Fujicas), but I must admit I have never worked on an Olympus or a Canonet by now, so who knows, maybe the disappointing ones are still to come for me.

CJ

Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Werner and Nicolas,

Yes to both of you--that brass retaining ring--for the wiggle on my S2 at least--is too far forward. The looseness is towards the body. If I were braver and more skilled, I'd remove the leatherette tighten the lens's attachment to the body, but...ah I'll just deal with it.

Cheers!

WernerJB

Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After some reasoning about the "deeper" reason for those wobbly lenses I completely knocked down a Hi-Matic 9 and found what I had expected: that the wobbliness on old Hi-Matics is caused by a loose ring nut that when tightened keeps the lens barrel incl. the shutter in its position. Unfortunately you can access this ring only after removal of the rear lens group. That is to say first you have to deal with dismantling the leatherette, front plate (careful, this requires taking apart of the auto lever connection to the meter and unhooking a spring on the right), loosening the wiring (to be able to get some slack for the operation), light dome plus light baffle. With the right (self-made or provisional) tool (solid tweezers, maybe) tightening of the retainer screw is easy and putting things back togeteher again not too difficult (notes and sketches are of great help if you can't do everything on one afternoon).
I guess the reason for the ring to come loose is that those solid state Hi-Matics, with which this problem is quite common, need some tackling if one wants to switch from auto to manual mode or set the aperture or speed ring.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration