Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Jammed shutter, olympus om 1n Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Jammed shutter, olympus om 1n « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Loz

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought an Olympus Om 1n from ebay and yesterday the shutter jammed, as I am a complete novice when it comes to camera repairs, yet very good at learning technical skills, is it worth having a bash at fixing it myself? And can any of you fine people offer advice on how to do it? I am thinking that the cost of a repair will be more than the cost of buying a new body, so I may as well give it a pop!

Martin

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter could be jammed for many simple or complex reasons. Certainly, with a OM1n going for $100 you are going to have to work hard to find anyone who will take on this project for less than the price of a replacement.

As the OM1n is totally mechanical though it is well worth playing with yourself. Simple things first; is this really the shutter or does it have to do with the film advance mechanism? Is it really the shutter or is it the self timer? Is anything else jammed or not working - it could give us a clue as to what is the real problem? Is the release jammed solid or is there movement? These kind of things will help you find the cause.

Loz

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your post Martin, to answer some of your points... The shutter release is jammed solid, and the film advance mecanism is also wound on and has no movement in it. looking at the shutter curtain, it is closed, but has a join/line about a third of the way across from the right. The problem arised after having put a new film in, when it had jammed after taking 9 shots, the film had not wound on.

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can think of one jam spot in OM cameras, though offhand I can't recall if it can cause a mid-wind jam like what you've experienced. Under the baseplate there is a gear about 1/2" in diameter that is part of the wind mechanism - the gear is not cut in a full circle, only about 3/4 of the way around, it's cut away for the other quarter. In the center of this gear is a screw with a left-hand thread. If this screw works loose, the gear can get out of position and jam the transpor... I had it happen with a brand new OM1 of my own, and have seen it at least once since in an OM10. the gear is spring-loaded, and needs to be set so that it returns to the clear position when at rest.

Another possibility is that a screw (almost anywhere) could have worked loose and fallen out, and then landed in the works where it got jammed during winding. if this happened, it could be either at the bottom or up under the wind lever. I'd look at the bottom first, just because it's easier to do.

rick :)=

Martin

Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Online, free repair manuals for OMs: http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/

One persons OM1 shutter job: http://photographic.co.nz/cameraworks/cameras/om1_shutter/

Regards - Martin

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration