Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon EM - meter reads after shutter ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Nikon EM - meter reads after shutter release « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A curious development: a Nikon EM I've just purchased has a meter that only reads after I've released the shutter, before winding the film advance to the next frame. Once I've cocked the shutter, the meter refuses to read. (With new batteries installed.)

Is this a known problem? Fixable? Has anyone experienced this or a similar problem? (Actually, I've seen it in an old Konica SLR, but only with one specific lens.) Any ideas would be helpful -- none of my other Nikon bodies has exhibited this problem.

Thank you.

-David K. (USA)

Jon Goodman

Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 06:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is not a problem known to me, and I thought I'd seen about all the EM could toss at me. I will be very interested to see if anybody has this answer. By your description, it is doing exactly the opposite of what it should be doing, but I can not reason why it would switch the meter off when the shutter is cocked.
Jon

Ed

Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess my approach would be to be sure that the counter switch and trip button switch were all secure and correct--then, it seems to me, there is a switch and the side of the mirror. This of course, is a bigger deal.

John Nunn

Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine does the same. When the film is not wound on, the meter reads. when the film is wound on, the meter doesn't read. After firing the shutter, the meter reads again. Lovely camera to handle though. John.

John Nunn

Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 05:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it is something to do with the aperture leaver on the left hand side of the mirror box. After winding on, it doesn't rest in the same height position as it does when the shutter is released. When I have the shutter in the cocked position I have twiddled the leaver and I get some light meter display,,BUT how to get into that part of the camera to clean a contact is another story, any ideas??

Ed

Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have to pull the mirror box--not for the unexperienced. Wouldn't attmept unless you are mechanically gived and can get hold of a manual.

John

Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Ed, I am not that experienced. Regards, John.

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think i have some sketches for getting the mirror box out of the EM, if anyone wants them...

: ) =

John Nunn

Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick, I would like to have a go at removing the mirror box. Would it be any trouble to email them to me, or maybe you might already have them on your site. Regards, John. PS, I think the main cause of the problem is that the aperture lever isn't returning fully to it's resting position at the top.It needs to go upwards another 1.5mm or so.

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, for whatever reason (assuming your email address posted here is correct) i have been having great difficulty sending email to AOL addresses lately, and it seems to be getting progressively worse.

I'll post the images on my website and then leave links back here so you can pick them up.

rick : ) =

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/nikon-em/em_1_jumpy_meter.gif

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/nikon-em/em_2_top_cover.gif

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/nikon-em/em_3_mirror_box.gif

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/nikon-em/em_4_mirror_box.gif

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/nikon-em/em_5_mirror_box_photos.jpg

John Nunn

Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick, that's very kind of you. The email address is correct. AOL are very over cautious with emails sometimes. I am looking forward to get this EM working. Regards, John.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration