Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Chinon Camera help?? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Chinon Camera help?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonathan Winans

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I purchased a Chinon CP-7m SLR Camera. It has a Sunpak auto 144 flash. When I take a picture using the flash it cuts the picture in half. The top is still dark and the bottom is light. It is a straight line across. It is like the flash is only shining on the bottom half of the item I am taking a picture of. I have purchased a different lens with no change. Is this something that I am doing wrong? It seems worse the closer I get to the subject. Here is a link to a couple pictures showing it at its worst. http://www.myoldparts.com/pictures.jpg
If I have posted this message in the wrong place, I apoligize, I am new to the forum. Thanks in advance to any suggestion or solutions you may have to my problem. Jonathan

Jon Goodman

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What shutter speed are you using, Jonathan? You should be using 1/125 or less. This should stop the problem. Not a bad question. Welcome to the forum.
Jon

Jonathan Winans

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon, I feel foolish to ask and to someone that knows cameras, or picture taking in general, this will give them a very good laugh. How do I set the shutter speed? I went from a digital to a 35mm because I wanted the quality pictures that you get. I love taking pictures, but have had no experience, or anyone around me that has. So if it is possible to teach an old dog new tricks, that is what I am asking you to do. I can guarantee that any advice will be used and appreciated. I bought my Camera on e-bay and although I am not even sure of it's brand quality, it is treated a a newborn baby. I also purchased a 80 to 200 MM lens. Boy, I feel as I have went way over my head!! I could fill two pages with questions about what I don't know. Please excuse my lack of knowledge. Again, thanks for any help you can give a Camera illiterate person!! Jonathan

Jonathan Winans

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon, I do have a manual for the camera. If the Exposure Adjustment is the same as the shutter speed, it was set at 400. I have set it to 125. I will try a roll and see how it does. I was actually looking for an older Camera without all of this programing abilities, but I still like it, just can figure it all out. Is there a book or a site that you would suggest a beginner to read?? Thanks again Jonathan

P Laskey

Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 05:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the manual for the CP-7m, it states that you have to set the exposure mode to "M" (bottom right of the lcd, using the mode selector buton) and the shutter speed to 1/60 second if you are using a non-dedicated flash. Dang electronic cameras...
P Laskey

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before people start jumping up and down saying this is The Repair Forum,I believe we should offer all the help we can to film converts.I do not subscribe to the 'silver halide will disappear' debate,but remember film feeds our toys-the greater the demand etc.
Jonathan my feeling is that your camera type will be very suitable for you when you understand the manual.This has nothing to do with photography really,just how to operate in different conditions.You will find that in auto mode,most of your images will be viewable.In the manual mode you will need to start learning the basic principles of photograpy,to really make every frame acceptable.However your use of the previous digital camera should have enabled you to gain some experience of composition,even if quality was off.As posted above the only way for fully auto flash is to use a dedicated unit.With your present setup you have to set your camera to manual and select the 1/60 shutter speed.The flash unit will also have a manual /auto mode switch.Set flash to AUTO.On the back of the flash unit will be a calculator in dial or strip form.You set the ASA rating of the film you are using and this calculator will indicated 2 aperture values ie f3.5 and f8.The calculator also gives the range over which the flash will function correctly ie f3.5 4-25 feet, f8 1-10 feet.You pick the aperature to set on camera depending on how far subject is from camera,what depth of field you want.It is not really complicated to expose film correctly; getting that particular shot is quite another matter.My feelings are that a digital slr is a great learning tool these days.My son is a 20 year old photographic student,in 1963 when I was same age and doing similar degree the amount of film I exposed was far greater than he can afford today.However With his Sigma SD9 outfit he can take any number of exposures--as I said great learning tool.Email me your address,I have some good basic books I will gladly send you for cost of postage,if they would be of use to you. Glenn

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Jonathan.
Sorry, I was away for a bit. Glenn and Mr. Laskey are right...usually the Chinons of that era are good up to 1/125 second, and I thought this one was, also, but I guess not without a dedicated flash. A good book to acquaint you with the basics of 35mm photography is put out by Kodak and titled simply "A Guide to 35mm Photography." I'd loan you mine, but it is currently on loan to a young man who is learning about a Yashica on loan from his brother.

Jon

Jonathan Winans

Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all of the help!! The simple fact that books were offered means as much to me, as if they would have been delivered to my door. I think I have it figured out to a degree that I can satisfy myself. I surely would have exposed a few more unsatisfactory rolls, without all of your help. I will be shooting a few tomorrow, so I will let you know how they turn out. On another note, my sister-in-law did not know that I was in the market for a camera. She found out that I was through my wife. She sent me a Pentax K1000, a 500mm lens, a 50mm lens, a vivitar flash, a tripod, and a very nice camera case. All at no charge, she went to digital. I have to admit, I felt like a kid in a candy store. Again, I thank all of you for the help!! Jonathan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration