Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica Auto S2: Shutter fires now, bu... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Konica Auto S2: Shutter fires now, but aperture doesn't close... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 02:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Three weeks and almost 1 bottle of Ronsonol later, my Konica S2 with sticking & stuck shutter and aperture blades only shows a modest improvement. The shutter fires now, but the aperture blades are still uncooperative: When set at f/1.8, for example, the shutter will fire, the aperture opens up and does NOT close down again: The rear lens element is still visible.

If I squirt more Ronsonol in there, the aperture and shutter will close again.

In other words, when the Ronsonol dries, I'm essentially back to square one.

What am I doing wrong here? Do I need to pour the naptha into a cup or something, and position the camera lens down, so that the blades are completely immersed in the liquid?

Barring that, should I keep squirting the Ronsonol in, fire the shutter a few times, then add the step of blowing the blades out with canned air?

It seems like I'm just moving the old lubrication around, but not actually removing it.

-CJ

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 04:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Squirting a mechanism with solvent will mostly distribute the greasy gunk but not remove it.

In other words, I think it would be the best to disassemble the lens barrel and take off the aperture module. Then disassemble it and clean the aperture blades with lighter fluid.

The Konica Auto-S/S2 are well-known for aperture problems, fortunately I had an aperture module to swap.

WernerJB

Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 04:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, CJ, I once encountered the same problem and I was only able to solve it after completely stripping down everything, then taking out the shutter assembly as a whole (leave the wires where/as they are) and immersing it completely in lighter fluid (use a transparent plastic container, shake well for several minutes in several baths, in the end the liquid has to be free of particles. Regreasing major pivots is possible, but not really necessary, the mechanism won't wear out before the end of your life.) The spring operating the aperture blades is relatively weak and there is a lot of metal to be moved by it, so the blades have to be clinically clean. Do NOT repeat not replace the spring by a stronger one, as this will have neative effects on the whole auto mechanism. The pictures you probably need for your operation can be found on Mick Feuerbacher's camera section on his homepage, and also on the Japanese Family Camera weblog or Daniel Mitchell's super homepage.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration