Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Compur Rapid Blades Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Compur Rapid Blades « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Kovacs

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Compur Rapid shutter here that is driving me to the brink of insanity. Every once in a while (say 1 in 20) at 1/500, one of the shutter blades will jump out of its retaining pins.

I've had the back on and off this shutter probably 20 times now. Is there anything unique to this early postwar Compur Rapid that I need to know? This one had an extra shim blade that was loose when I opened it. I haven't come across one of these before but it does cut down on the blade sag so I think its needed, and the shutter fails whether its installed or not. Its basically a cut-off shutter leaf having only the two holes like the shutter blades have. This shutter also has 3 blades with 3 holes, and 2 blades with 2. Not sure of the significance of that. (replaced?)

One thing I have noted: the brass part around the aperture seems just a hair off-centered. If I remove the aperture lever, I wonder whether I can slightly loosen the three screws and center it again without diassembling the aperture? I guess the question is, should it be centered, and how do I make sure I get it back together with the corresponding holes for the shutter blade pins in the correct place?

I have read all of Dan Mitchell's site content on this shutter.

Ed

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what was this shutter mounted on? It sounds like it has had lens mount impact that made the upper shutter mech. plate out-of-line so that there is excessive clearance between the plate and the shutter housing. You can check this if you have a surface plate and a dial indicator by checking parallelism at the point where lens screws in. Hard to describe but I thing you can see what I mean.

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was mounted on an Ikonta 521/16, postwar model. I actually doubt that it could be impacted on a camera of this type without some evidence, e.g. knocking the lens standard out of parallel.

Anyhow, I fooled around with it and got it firing reliably at 1/250, afraid to use 1/500 as I am certain it will fail with the booster engaged 10% of the time.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration