Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Practika BX20 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Practika BX20 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jayne

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Practica BX20 which i sold on ebay for £17 but which the buyer is returning as he says "The rewind arm, winds on but doesn't allow the shutter release mechanism to operate correctly. The camera is only firing intermittantly." I wasn't aware of this problem so i don't know anymore about it, but does anyone know if this could be fixed, or even if it's worth my while trying? indeed, does anyone want to buy it from me for repair?

Mike

Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are occasionaly wind under travel problems with this model where the wind sequence resets before the shutter is fully set. From the description, it is impossible to tell if this is the actual problem, but that's my experience repairing this model.

You can pull the bottom plate (four crosspoint screws) and watch the process as you wind it. There is a plate which guides the wind lever held in place by three straight slot screws with fairly distictive copper washers underneath. Adjustment is accomplished by loosening the three screws and moving the plate until things are working properly. Strictly a trial-and-error process.

A nice working BX20 sold with a guarantee will easily fetch 50 pounds or more.

Jayne

Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the time I received my camera back it was no longer working at all!! At any rate, you were spot on, I tried for an hour or so to adjust the plate and failed, but my other half had it done in seconds once I gave up!! Thank you!
I've also noticed though that there are black marks in the viewfinder, I don't think these impact on the picture but I'd like to get rid of them if I can before I try selling the bleeding thing again. I don't think they are on the mirror, and they're not on the outside of the viewfinder - is it possible they're inside? and is it possible to get at them?

Mike

Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 07:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Jayne-

Glad to hear you had some success.

If the black marks (which don't affect the picture) can't be removed from the underside with a soft brush, I would leave them alone. The black marks then are probably on the inside and require very major disassembly including removing the flex circuit board covering the prism and the prism itself. You'll possibly make things much worse if you aren't comfortable desoldering and resoldering the flex.

Jayne

Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello again, thanks for that - seeing as I barely understood a word you just said, I think the marks will be staying firmly where they are :o) on the other hand, this disassembly thing sounds fun...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration