Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Exa IIa wind-lever removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Exa IIa wind-lever removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need to get into my Exa IIa to investigate a sticking upper shutter curtain, but the wind-lever/frame-counter removal has me stumped!
A previous thread on a similar question regarding the Exa 500 mentioned prising off the index ring (between the frame counter and film speed reminder dial), but this seems to be extremely firmly attached. Possibly the IIa is different.
Also, any advice on the shutter curtain would be appreciated. It sticks perhaps once in every three or four shots, and not in the same place each time.

Gary Turner

Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve,

I found some email notes that I saved from the Exakta list. The date was July 18 2004 and the author is Tony Z. I just forwarded a copy to you but maybe there is more available via the Exakta list archives. I have disassembly notes for Exa 1b but maybe those are quite different. As I recall Exa 1b incorporated some unusual tricks to remove that knob but I had success with it after a lot of trial & error. Exa IIa may offer similar challenges?

Tony Duell

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 04:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think on the IIa, that ring is screwed into place, not glued. You have to grip it somehow (rubber, parallel pliers), then unscrew it.

Steve

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks, both Gary and Tony, for the advice. I used a pencil eraser to turn the ring - instant success. Now I just have to sort out the shutter!

Peter Wallage

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Steve,

If you run into problems with the shutter curtains I've got a copy of the Exa factory workshop manual. Unfortunately it's in German, and though I can more or less follow it my Gerrman isn't good enough to translate it properly. If you can read German, or find someone to translate it, I'll scan it in and e-mail it to you. It runs to about 25 or 26 A4 pages and covers all the Exas up to the 500, but you need the lot because in some places the text refers back to earlier models. You might find the parts list handy because the text also refers to part numbers. I've got a copy of this, but it's a very poor third generation photocopy. Some of the parts are only just recognisable, and I'm not certain it's complete. Even so, I'll include it for what it's worth. Let me know.

Peter

mario

Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 05:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, here is Mario from Italy.
I need to disassembly exa IIa to find to repair B time that don't works.
There is in the web a explode schematics to disassembly the top of the camera

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration