Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Are there any easy ways to deassemabl... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Are there any easy ways to deassemable the front lens elements of Canonet QL17? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

FHKE

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 01:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!
In recent days I got a Canonet QL19, but the shutter is jammed. I want to try to fix it by myself. I would like to ask are there any easy ways to deassemable the front lens elements of Canonet QL17/Ql19? I tried hard struggling with the aluminium ring, but I failed to remove it...
Thanks

Ezio

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 05:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First you have to remove the small retainer ring. NOTE: this is NOT the filter ring but rather a very thin ring inside the filter ring. Look carefully and you will see the two small notches. Removing this ring would ideally require a wrench spanner but even an improvised tool (scissors, etc.)would do.Once the ring is off the round name plate will fall off. At this point you can see the two notches to remove the front lens element. If you are lucky, unscrewing this will remove the entire element exposing the shutter. If not, only the upper part of the element will come off. This gives you to alternatives:1)try to unscrew the lower part as it is (it also has notches, but these are difficult to reach); 2) screw in again the upper part and then unscrew it anew until it carries the lower part along. Note, however, the the "officially approved" way to reach the shutter is through the back, as described in full detail in the"camera articles" section. Good luck

FHKE

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A pair of scissors! I never think about that!
Thanks for reminding Me!

FHKE

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way I has order a set of wrench spanners. I guess it may help.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a common question...the external element is often not difficult to remove, but the central element can sometimes be almost impossible to loosen. Here is one way you can always remove it...look to the bottom of my auction page for the answer with images:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30038&item=7507427621

Jon

Kim

Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 08:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jon,
I tried your method and it does work though even with black paint the holes show. I have found a very good alternative. I have a soft gum rubber "bung" that I got from micro-tools. I have found that it takes the middle element out with no problems. I also use it to remove the front element as there is less chance to slip and scratch the mount.

Kim

Gary Turner

Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That thin retaining ring within the soft aluminum filter ring can be a challenge. I tried a spanner but found that if you press down to keep the tips in the slots that the ring became only more difficult or impossible to remove. Then I tried 2 dental picks with the right sized tips. Using rather gentle pressure just in the direction of the threads was I able to spin off that tiny retainer without any damage to the filter ring or the black plastic beauty plate. Good luck with the lens retainers. Some use special tools and a little solvent on the threads to first loosen up any gunk. Many have tried and many have failed on these rather awkward retainers; lots of hack jobs on Canonets so be careful & patient. Plenty of parts cameras out there to practice on. Great cameras in many respects. My short answer to your question is: "I'd say there is no easy ways to remove lens elements from a Canonet at least for a novice". However, that's not to say one should give up on it.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, that method will generally work well, Kim. However, please be careful with it. Even with gum rubber, there is a chance you will scuff the coating if the element's collar is stuck fast...the rubber will turn against the element which stays still. The way I have suggested is sort of a last resort. I've seen some of these that were stuck so fast, they could not be separated any other way. I wonder if they assembled them when the paint was still wet.

Jon

FHKE

Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got the spanners wrench.
After I removed the front element of the lens, the shutter and the self-timmer suddently works! The aperture blades work also, but sometime stick together again...I guess I need to add some lubricants, and this problem will be solved.
Any suggestions for lubricants and place to get?

FHKE

Gary Turner

Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congratulations on getting inside a Canonet without damage to retainers. Think twice where you might add any lubricants. Lubricants in a camera, unless used sparingly on very specific points, can really mess things up, especially if it ever gets on shutter/aperture blades (let alone glass surfaces). Solvents are much more likely to be needed on the sticky blades. Naphtha = same as Ronsonol lighter fluid. Use small pieces of Kleenex held with a bent tip tweezer alternately dampened with naphtha & then with dry pieces to gently & carefully wick up & clean the blades. That's another drill well explained via Internet search or search within this website's archives. Often it's not necessary to get inside the shutter for further cleaning. I'm sure you will get some very good specific advice from others in this forum who are very familiar with a Canonet.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration