Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina IB shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Retina IB shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ezio

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 04:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm puzzled by a Retina IB (Type 019II) with a bizarre shutter behaviour. I can advance and cock the shutter, and when pressing the release there is the normal "click" - but the shutter blades don't move. At first I assumed the usual jammed blades syndrome, and as the front lens element is detachable I tought I could solve this in two minutes. Hélas, not. Repeated washes with increasingly larger doses of lighter fluid have failed to produce any result, and the blades does not even show the partial movement that you can sometimes observe on heavily jammed shutters. Even trying to carefully touch the blades with a toothpick doesn't help. I'm starting to suspect that the problem may no be jammed blades. Yet the shutter mechanism itself seems ok, because it cocks and releases and when it is cocked I cannot advance. What I should possibly be looking at?

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 06:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It may still be that the blades are glued together so tightly that they didn't release. Another possibility is that inside the shutter the blade actuating link is missing the pin on the blade ring and therefore not operating the blades. You should be able to determine this if you remove the front panel and watch the mechanism operate.

Ezio

Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which leads me straight to the next question: how do I remove the front panel? Even with the front lens element off, I cannot see any obvious screw or notches.

rick

Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i'm afraid i haven't done this on a retina 1b; i'd have expected the shutter panel to be removable after the front element is removed. i can't think of any other route into the shutter...

Winfried

Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it is a Compur shutter, there should be a small screw near the shutter collar of which the head is partially cut away. Turn this screw (it has two holes on the head) until the cut-away section is towards the shutter center. Now turn the shutter cover together with this screw until its cams meet the (not very deep) notches on the shutter collar.

Ezio

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Winfried is correct. A project for the next rainy weekend (not that there any shortage of these...)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration