Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

616 film loading help Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » 616 film loading help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

todd rasmussen

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello, i am having some trouble with the 8 exposures of 616 film my girlfriend got me for my birthday. i have a kodak jiffy six 16 model and after loading the film i noticed that the window to view the frame number is in the top right hand corner on the back of the camera while the actual numbers on the film are in the bottom right corner. because of this i cant tell whether the film is wound to the next exposure. i was wondering if anyone out there had a remedy for this problem or possibly knows what i am doing wrong. any help on this would be greatly appreciated, whether it be assistance with loading or the typical number of cranks it takes to fully advance this film. thank you.

charlie

Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do you know the numbers are on the bottom right corner if you can only see the top right corner? Is it possible that there are several sets of numbers for different frame sizes as is the case with 120 film?

todd rasmussen

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 07:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

after winding it some and not seeing any numbers come through i decided to sacrifice an exposure and re-open the back to check it out. there was only one number in the bottom right corner. i dont know if there would be any other sets of numbers since there was an outline of the frame on the back of the film that lined up with the frame in the camera. it doesnt make sense to me why they wouldnt reprint the exposure number up the length of the film for cases like this. thanks for the suggestions though, any other ideas?

don

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take your sacrificed roll of film and starting at the beginning of the film(where it is taped),measure 5.5 inches,and make a mark that you can see in the red window. Then measuring from the first mark,make seven more marks 4.5 inches apart.

Now you can either re-roll new 120 film onto that backing paper, or you can put the sacrificed roll of film in the camera and count how many turns between frames(which will be slightly different for each frame.

don

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW- you'll probably only get 7 frames anyway,so
count the turns from frame 1 to 2 (That will take the most turns) and use that for all of them.It'll be easier to remember and you'll get 7 unevenly spaced frames.

don

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

also ,btw- on the original 116 film ,the second set of numbers for 4.25 format start a full 3.5 inches after the smaller format numbers- past #2 on the smaller format .Maybe you just didn't wind it far enough?

todd rasmussen

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for the information don. i was just thinking of doing your process anyways and overcompensating so there are no double exposures. would you happen to know whether the kodak jiffy six 16 is of the 4.25 format? or is that a format of the film?

also on a somewhat related topic, can the backing paper just be pulled away from the film then used to re-roll 120 film on it? if that is the case is there a lot of hassle fitting the 120 film onto the 616 paper? thanks a lot for your help.

don

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the window is in the upper right hand corner-
I would think it's 4.25.Easy enough to open the back of the camera and measure the film exposure opening.There we're three format numbers printed on the origional 116 film,2.25 (16 exposure),2.75(or 3" hard to tell)-12 exposure),and 4.25 (8 exposure)

don

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, you can reuse the backing paper to reroll 120.Tape the 120 film where the 116 film was taped and roll it up,starting from the end that's not taped.If you 've never rerolled before,
when you get it rolled up to where the tape is,you may have a bubble in the film-carefully untape it and keep rolling-it will reattach itself in the right(flat) space.

easier to do (once you've figured out how many revolutions to wind per frame) is use 120 film
with a nickel (spacer) on either end of the 120 film spool,and a 116 take up spool

todd rasmussen

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks again don. mine must be of the 4.25 variety since it has 8 exposures. would you suggest just winding it further in order to find the numbers on the upper portion of the back of the film through the window? or are these numbers all printed on the same level (the bottom of the film) so i still wouldnt be able to see them?

don

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

top #'s are 4.25, middle #'s are 2.74,bottom 2.25-

it's a long way to #1( about 2 feet) .Keep winding,you can always open the back in the dark and rewind it.

todd rasmussen

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

again, thank you don. i will give some more winding a try.

charlie

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you don't make a 2 1/4 mask for the camera, won't the long edges of the film curl in the wider opening in the camera when in the exposure position?

don

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you keep the film tight (wind it just before snapping a pic,rather than snapping a pic,wind it to the next frame and wait 2 days to snap the next one)curl is minimal.Besides we're amatures-we're having fun-what's a little curl.Poeple pay $60.00 for a Holga,just so they can have funky looking pics.

todd rasmussen

Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you were both right. the numbers for my format were on the top of the film. after winding a bit more i found them. this is the first time i have done this so i just didnt want to screw it up. thanks for all your help.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration