Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 shutter firing during wind-on Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon AE-1 shutter firing during wind-on « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jack Wass

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've recently got an old AE-1. It looks to be in good condition (lens etc) and the metering works, but the shutter fires part way along winding it on. The actual shutter release doesn't do anything therefore.

I can hear several distinct clicks as I wind it on. Although I can stop winding it on after the first click but before the shutter fires, the shutter release still doesn't work.

Any ideas as to what's wrong? How difficult/expensive (professionally) would this be to fix? Is it worth it?

Thanks,

Jack

Stuart Willis

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you remove the top-plate you will see a nightmare of electronics - but be brave, ignore all such and focus on the twin stacked gears as beneath the shutter dial. The top gear is for the second curtain and the underside gear for the first curtain.
If the second curtain gear does not latch - then you get the described problem.

If you look down vertically upon the aforementioned second curtain gearwheel you will see that it has a 2mm diameter pillar on its upper surface. You will also see that such pillar is ecompassed by a moving fork-plate which is pivotted inboard.

Address the free movement of that pivot. Clean with petroleum and lube with a little watch-oil.
On most Canon focal plane shutters on 40 year old models that pivot is inevitably stiff and gunked with dried out lube.

If I may respectfully suggest .... don't even "think" about cleaning the prism or fresnel screen.

Hope this helps

Stuart Willis

cashutter

Ed

Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could be that the release magnet is not holding. Under the bottom cover there are two magnets--clean them both with a cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol. You'll have to cut the cover a little on the one at the rewind end (the release magnet) to gain access.

Jack Wass

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After (finally) getting hold of the tools for the job, I'm a bit stuck.

I can access the bottom easily enough, although I'm not sure how to identify the magnets. By rewind end do you mean the left-hand side when looking at the front of the camera? Where do I have to cut away (and with what)?

Re: Stuart's suggestion, I can't work out how to disassemble the camera past removing the bottom plate. All the manuals/instructions I can find on the internet seem to apply to the AE-1 Program, and in this respect it seems the AE-1P and the AE-1 differ quite a bit.

Thanks,

Jack

Chad

Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The magnet has a plastic cover on it that is glued down. It also has the circut overlaping it and taped to the cover with black tape. Make sure you remove the camera battery before working on the camera. You can take tweezers and pry the cover off on the open end and pull to your left and out. This will expose the magnet and its armature which needs to be cleaned and polished and then reassembled. You can then put the battery in and test. When putting the plastic cover back on do it in the reverse but make sure you don't touch the magnets wires as they easily break. The whole magnet and armature can be unsoldered and removed but you have to be very careful with the circut.

Chad

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration