Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus PM-6 Camera for Microscope Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Olympus PM-6 Camera for Microscope « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Frank

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 01:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

Does anyone know much about the Olympus PM-6 camera?

I recently saw one on eBay and it looked rather unusual and interesting. I couldn't find much info about it on the internet. Is it worth collecting?

rick

Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i saw that too. looked neat, but my experience has been that items this specialized don't attract a big following among collectors. i'd get it if you want it, but don't expect to make any money reselling it.

rick :)=

Frank

Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 06:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, would you know how that camera functions? Does it have the usual shutter speed range and aperture range? Does it have a leaf shutter? Can it be used to take macro shots when it is not attached to a microscope?

Any comments would be much appreciated.

rick oleson

Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not familiar with this particular model. This kind of camera tends to be supplied with a very simple shutter or even no shutter at all, just a dark slide.... but there are exceptions. There would be no aperture control, as the microscope objective has a fixed aperture. I would assume that the camera could not be used without the appropriate microscope.

rick :)=

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The trouble with the Olympus and the NOS Alpa microfilm camera that has been doing the rounds on ebay is that they have no viewfinder.In the case of the PM-6 you view through a beam splitter or moveable mirror,depending on which microscope adapter is used.I have only used the later models of the Olympus setup but can say that all they are good for is use on a microscope.I always found that the Leica MD route was a far better way to go.You could build a very versatile system around the Visoflex,microscope adapter and 2 or 3 lenses.I still use the system that was supplied to special order 30 years ago.If you fancy doing photomicrography,then get the PM-6 and a microscope and have some fun. Suitable microscopes can be found at very low prices.

sid

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone tell me how to replace the polyuretane (?) foam that hold the shutter (COPAL) in place in the PM-6.
The unit is in pristine condition but the black foam refered to has become gooey and sticky and must be replaced.

Thanks

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you mean a method of removing the 'goo',or what is available as a replacement?For a suitable foam, email Jon Goodman (he has posted in the last two days-just look)as he sells light seal kits.The foam is self adhesive and you will be able to build up layers to fit your application.As long as you purchase the foam you require in multiples of his standard cutting size,I am sure he will supply you with enough to re-foam the PM-6.He very kindly supplied me with long lengths of his adhesive felts.You will just have to work out the thickness and size of the foam you require and then work out how you can build this up from Jon's foam sheets.

To remove the 'goo' you scrape it away with a suitable wooden strip made from a wooden tongue depressor-see your Doctor.the final clean up is then done with lighter fluid/Naphtha.

Not knowing how the foam is arranged in the PM-6,I cannot give you any precise instructions.What I can say is you can easily build up small,intrically shaped foam blocks using Jon Goodman's foams.

Ashley Derrick

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 05:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the same problem with foam holding shutter. I have contacted Jon Goodman, but he is offering two types of foam (Dense or open celled). Does anyone know the type of foam required and what the thickness of the original was.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The foam is there to dampen the shutter vibrations. Mirror slap/shutter vibrations are a much bigger problem on microscopes than with normal photographic lenses/tripod combinations. All to do with magnification factors.

If item is not to be used in anger,then you could use either type of foam. You will have to measure the gap/gaps and build up the required thickness.

The physics of vibration dampers is not simple and you can make the problem worse, if you take the wrong approach. However in this application I would use Jon's dense foam - it should hold the shutter unit firmly in place without having to be compressed. I think the open cell foam will have to be compressed initially to hold the shutter unit in place. In this state there might not be enough resilience to cut out the vibrations, on a working unit.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration