Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leica Summitar 5cm -- several versions? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Leica Summitar 5cm -- several versions? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tony Duell

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 06:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought a Leica Summitar 5cm lens with a very stiff aperture control.

I have Tomosey's Leica repair book, which covers this lens, but following his instructions got me into trouble...

The front and second groups unscrewed easily from the front. I then removed the colapsable-mount bayonet ring from the rear (loosen the setscrew, unscrew the ring -- the best tool I could find for that was a Jaxa watch-case opening, then screw the setscrew back so it was flush with the barrel), and attempted to pull the optical unit out of the mount.

That's where the problems started. It jammed totally, attempting to free it mangled the felt in the focussing mount.

I then did what I should have done in the first place -- I loosened the 3 setscrews in the middle of the barrel. The apperture section then pulled off the part with the the rear groups inside, which then comes out of the mount backwards.

Now, are there several versions of this lens (and one of them does dismantle as Tomosey describes), or is Tomosey's method totally wrong (again)? I must say that I've found Tomosey's methods often seem to leave a lot to be desired -- he seems to be fanatically opposed to removing parts, even when doing so would make subsequent work a lot easier.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Dvorak

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Tony,

Yes, there were at least three versions of the Summitar. It was made from 1939 till 1953, the shape of the diaphragm blades changed on the post-war lenses and as you found out the mechanical design went through changes as well.

The felt can be a problem on all collapsible Leitz lenses and extra care has to be used on disassembly as well as re-assembly.

Good luck,

Jan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration