Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zorki-4k Rewind problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Zorki-4k Rewind problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

clarence

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I own a Zorki-4k and I have been having problems with rewinding film after I've used up the roll. There has only been one time where I managed to rewind the film successfully, with no excessive use of force or difficulty. At other times, the spool refuses to turn and take up the film despite my having:

i) turned the collar around the shutter release as far clockwise as it will go.

ii) turned the rewind knob as hard as possible

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you.

clarence

rick

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How far does the collar turn before it stops? it wants to go about 120 degrees; if it's stiff and you can't turn it that far, it may not be releasing.

Don't force the rewind knob; if it's not wanting to turn, you're just going to tear your film (I'm assuming you don't have a bent rewind shaft or something like that causing the problem...)

clarence

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The collar turns only 90 degrees before it stops.

I do not know if I have a bent rewind shaft. Is there a way I could find out?

I think I'm going to get a changing bag so I can still unload my film but I'd love to be able to rectify this problem once and for all.

rick oleson

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if the rewind shaft is bent, it will be hard to turn even if there is no film in the camera.

i suspect that you may just need lubrication in the mechanism inside the sprocket shaft where the rewind-release thing works, to make it easier to turn. the only part of this mechanism that you can see without any disassembly is in a slot in the side of the sprocket shaft, near the top end: inside this slot you can see an inner cylinder with a screw in its side, the screw protruding out through the slot. as you turn the rewind release collar, you can see this screw head move down in the slot about 3mm. if the screw head is not moving down, the mechanism is not releasing. you can take a small screwdriver blade and push downward on the upper edge of this screw and push it down, releasing the mechanism that way (of course you can't do this while shooting). if you can't push the screw down 3mm, then the inner cylinder is jamming inside the sprocket shaft. if you CAN push it down, then while holding that down the release collar around the shutter release button should turn easily (in my camera it turns about 150 degrees without any resistance) because the collar isn't really doing anything now. if the collar is hard to turn while you're holding that screw down, then there is an obstruction up at the collar.

if the collar turns easily in this last experiment, you may be able to improve things by just applying a drop of oil into the slot in the sprocket shaft and working the screw up and down a couple of times. hold the camera upside down so the oil gets up to the place where the rotating collar presses against the sliding cylinder; don't apply too much oil, and be sure to clean off any excess so you don't get any onto your film later.

: ) =

clarence

Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

Thanks so much for the help, Mr. Oleson. What sort of lubrication do you suggest I should use?

Would lighter fluid be suitable?

Thank you.

clarence

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration