Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Super Ikonta IV frame counter/w... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Zeiss Super Ikonta IV frame counter/wind stop repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wally Stephenson-Snell

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a near-mint Super Ikonta IV that I have been trying to get repair instructions for for quite a while. I can't seem to figure out how to adjust the film wind spacing so that the film frames don't overlap or have too much space between frames. Any sources of info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really want to use this great old camera if I can get it working right.
Thanks, Wally

Ezio

Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unless I miss something, it would seem to me that the problem you REALLY want to eliminate is overlap - why bother about excessive spacing, unless it actually eats so much film as to produce 11 or 10 exposures? This said, in the specific case of my III, which had a massive overlap problem (close to 1/3rd of each frame!) all it took was to unscrew the advance knob, clean the surfaces, add a drop of gun oil and rescrew the knob. Of course I would not suggest this as an universal cure, but it is a 5 min. work that MAY do it if you are as luckly as me. In any case it will do no damage. Otherwise I seem to understand that there may be many different causes for the problem and no easy & direct way out of it. At least this is what a repairman told me - which prompted me to try DIY.

Harv

Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Super Ikonta 531-16 that has the same problem and I tried out a suggestion that works for me that I learned on this forum. I've tried to find the discussion again but no luck - it was many months ago. As I remember it the camera's film advance was designed to operate with very slightly thicker backing paper and with the present day paper being thinner it throws it off. What worked for me, and I use Ilford film, was to sandwich a three inch piece of discarded backing paper onto the roll near its beginning. I taped only the leading edge of the piece so that it can adjust itself to the curve in the roll. It sounds very simplistic I know but I did several tests with different lengths of the added paper and three inches did the trick. It's of course necessary to use a roll complete with the film in place. I used one that was spoiled.
Harv

Winfried

Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 04:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If there is around 1/3 of a frame overlap I don't think that this problem is caused by calibration of the frame spacing mechanism to thicker film. This might cause very narrow frame spacing or minor overlap but not to such an extent.

I think David A. Richert has some pics of the wind mechanism of the Super-Ikonta on his site:

http://www.davidrichert.com/rebuilding_the_super_ikonta.htm

Maybe it will be helpful. I think that there is a friction link between two components which slips too early.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration