Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Argus c44 problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Argus c44 problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Drew

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have an argus c44 that i recently pulled out of my attic. It's in really really good shape and ALMOST everything works fine with it, but, I'm having one weird and really strange problem with it. After I depress the shutter release button, the shutter doenst "click", but then when I advance the lever, then as I'm advancing it, the shutter clicks. Any ideas about this???

rick oleson

Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have any offhand.... but I would advise against experimenting with it.

The C44 shutter has a small link between the operating mechanism and the blade assembly, and this has a tendency to break if the blades are obstructed and the shutter tries to move them. Just in case your problem is related to sticky blades or something in that direction, it's safest not to operate a malfunctioning C4/C44/Markfinder shutter until it's been straightened out.

rick : ) =

Dan Cluley

Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick is right. Do not wind/shoot that camera any more than you have.

The first thing to do is clean the shutter blades (they most likely have old oil/grease that has gotten into the mechanism and causes much drag on the shutter mechanism)

I use zippo lighter fluid. After removing the lens and the back, lay the camera on it's back (on paper towels or something) and pour a little fluid onto the front of the shutter blades. Now wind/shoot once or twice to work the fluid into the area outside the shutter opening. Then use a cotton swab to gently clean both sides of the blades. Let it dry overnight.

This may cure your problem, but most likely the main shutter spring has either come unhooked or broken.

This is not an impossible fix, but does require removing the leatherette from the front to access the screws that hold the shutter mechanism into the rest of the body.

If you are really lucky the leatherette glue has gotten brittle, and the edges have started to peel up. A little prying and each side might pop off easily. More likely the stuff is still stuck down tight. In that case, apply a coat of mineral spirits (paint thinner) and let is soak into the leatherette for an hour or two. This should soften up the glue underneath, if not try another application. Worst case scenario, you have to scrape it off in little pieces and make replacements.

Once the leatherette is off, the 4 screws around the lens mount are pretty obvious, and the top plate comes loose after removing the wind knobs and flim counter.

For more details of the inner workings, check this site http://arguscg.tripod.com/id105.html
The Argus Collectors Group has the parts diagrams for the C-44R (the follow up model to your C-44) It has a different wind lever, and rewind crank, so the top is a little different, but 90% matches yours.

If you need any more info, feel free to email me.

Dan Cluley
[email protected]

rick

Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

here's some more stuff on repairing it....

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-127.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration