Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

1950s Brumberger 35mm rangefinder Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » 1950s Brumberger 35mm rangefinder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ron L.

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings! I have just purchased a mint condition Brumberger 35mm rangefinder-in-the-box, with case,manual, and original receipt and warranty card. I think that this camera might have been manufactured abroad and imported under the Brumberger label. The fastest stop is 3.5 and the fasted shutter speed is 300. It looks like a "budget-minded" camera, but it was in such great shape, I could not help buying it from the thrift store I found it at. Does anyone know the manufacturer, or have any useful hints on possible future maintenance issues which might arise? Thanks.
Ron L.

Gary Turner

Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like a Neoca clone of the 2S. Neokor 45mm Anastigmat lens? Might try an Internet search and see if that Neoca model (or another) matches up. Neat looking camera. Guess they are not very common but value may be limited since not many folks are looking for them. I wonder if this Brumberger 'house branded' camera was associated with Brumberger Camera Store in Brooklyn back in the mid 50's?

Ron L.

Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 07:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings. Thanks for the response.
After looking at some pictures of the Neoca S on the net, it seems that the Brumberger rangefinder might be a clone of this camera. Though I prefer 35mm SLRs, this camera was in such great condition in the box with original manual, and mint leatherette case, it was hard to pass up.
I don't have a scanner, so I will describe the camera further for fans of this type of camera.The model number on the warranty card is 1651.The camera has the same appearance as the Neoca S, except the company name Brumberger is engraved on the top right chrome face plate, and the script is painted black. The name Brumberger is also inscribed in white lettering on the black plastic lens retaining ring. The retaining ring states the following: Brumberger Anastigmat 1:3.5 45mm. There are 9 shutter speeds:B,1,2,5,10,25,50,100,and 300. There is a self-timer on the lens body. There is a flash terminal on the camera body which is described in the manual as a "German-type" flash terminal. I have not located a stamp on the outside,or inside of the camera of the country of origin, but the tan leatherette case is engraved 'Made in Japan'. The case is embossed on the top with script lettering Brumberger, and there is a large "B" embossed on the front of the case which covers the lens. There is no light meter.
The warranty address: the Brumberger Camera Co., 34-34th St., Brooklyn, N.Y.
This appears to be a budget-minded outfit, but it is well-done, a "classy" look. The camera focus, shutter, self-timer, and aperture all are working! The craftmanship has stood the test of time, though the owner obviously took care of the camera. The camera has been used, there are some film reminder remnants and some Kodak film-instruction leaflets in the box. Had I found this camera at an estate sale, rather than at a thrift store, I might have seen photos taken with the camera-and perhaps really reached a more complete understanding and appreciation of the "life" of this camera.
I'm not a "pro", but I appreciate the art and science of film photography. After spending much time at thrift stores, pawn shops, and estate sales, it's fun to find a camera in such exceptional condition. It will be fun to give this one a try.
Thanks to all of those out there who contribute to forums and maintain web-sites concerning cameras and photography!
Ron L.

Scott

Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So how were the results? Does that camera have a 3 or a 4 element lens?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration