Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praktica super TL2 will not cock Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Praktica super TL2 will not cock « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen Grayson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 05:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Praktica super TL2 that used to belong to my father and has not been used for many years. I am keen to get this working again but have run into a problem which I would greatly appreciate the advice of the forum members.

What happens when the wind on lever is operated is that the shutter moves across but then fires without cocking. Also the mirror does not drop down and the bar just behing the lens does not move (but can be cocked manually).

I can manually release the mirror with the lens off, but it does not resolve the initial problem of premature shutter release.

Beleiving this to be a mechanical fault I have removed the base cover and most of the top cover. I am stuck at removing the actual cocking lever. The top plate of the lever is removed, but no matter what I try I cannot get the nut (with two holes for spanner purchase) to budge.

Can someone please confirm that to undo the screw is a counterclockwise action (as viewed from above the lever).

Are there any tricks that would help shift this?

Please help.

Thank you

Stuart Willis

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I recall the sub-film advance lever slotted nut is a left-hand thread.

Gary Janchik

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to work on these at Hanimex/Praktica. I seem to remember a small E-clip on the center of the threaded shaft. Remove it with a pointy dental pick and proceed to unscrew the nut. I think it is a R hand thread, but try both. Your problem with the shutter and mirror mechs. may be the wind/charge volume adjustment. There is a strap that pulls when winding, it can be shortened to increase the charge volume. You may need to access the shutter to adjust the curtain latches. (vertical metal blades) The only dificult part of that repair is removing the vinyls and the metal "shingles"under them. (russian tank glue!) Hope this helps. Good luck!!!
Yes,I still repair cameras 10 hrs a day.
Gary

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration