Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE 1 focusing screen removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon AE 1 focusing screen removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zygmunt Roslon

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 07:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi.Can somebody help with advice how to remove screen from AE1 camera ?Can not find any net links..Grateful for any help.Zygi. My main email is: [email protected]

Stuart Willis

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are wanting to remove the fresnel to clean off dust specks - then forget it and live with it. Removal of the prism on an AE-1 is a nightmare and you would have no chance.
If fresnel is damaged and must be replaced - then it is absolutely a job for a Canon Pro-techie - and will in case cost you a heap of money for the labour involved.

Hope this helps

Stuart Willis

Gary Janchik

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stuart is correct. You need to remove the flex circuit to do that and they are old and brittle and will tear. Live with it!
Gary

Gary Turner

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Too bad Canon did not see fit to integrate a convenient removable screen via underside in their popular AE-1. Presumably cost was a factor but other manufacturers managed to do it in equivalent 'mainstream' SLRs. 2 examples: Mamiya/Sekor MSX & DSX series & Yashica FR series. I'm sure there are many other brands & models that featured such convenience. Oh well.

Ron

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the Canon A series family, only the AE-1 Program and the A-1 have removeable focusing screens.

Ron

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you read the technical papers that Canon issued to dealers when the AE-1 was first released, they made a great deal about how well the AE-1 was sealed against dust/dirt entering the body.The screen/prism were 'sealed' as a unit to keep dust out.Of course this did not work,I used two early AE-1's on construction sites-they were both cleaned and serviced after just 12 months use! Although the A1 has a removeable screen,Canon did not recommend the user interchange the screens. They always stated that this was a service tech only job, as the focus had to be checked.I have removed/replaced many A1 screens without any apparent focus problems.I have however a number of screens that I would not fit to the A1 because they do not seem to seat properly under the frame.The AE-1 Program is a different Kettle of fish,properly designed screens in metal frames,complete with insertion/removal tool.We mortals could remove,clean etc to our hearts content.The extraordinary thing is that I gather this method of screen attachment came about because of cost cutting in the design stage of the AE-1 Program.

zygi

Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 07:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello friends..I am surprised that you responded so fast.Especially ever on post Stuart(-:.Yes we talk Canon AE1, I found on webside advice the bloody screen is removable,but looked closer into and found nothing like a lock or other device looking like tonge at MX or OM10 tiny bit easy to work with..so I am confused .Thanx everybody...

zygi

Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 07:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...Gary ,never forgt you for your help with Fujica ST 601....Lovely camera .Now like new...To Stuart..tomorrow I am buying like new TLS 401...$55.00 Crazy...Zygi

zygi

Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 07:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Ron for your help...Now have no dreams as my camera is AE1...so I have to leave my plan not to finish off my camera. You know how it is with the bloody screens job (-: Zygi

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration