Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Almost dead Konica FS-1 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Almost dead Konica FS-1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Malcolm Campbell

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Konica FS-1 winds the film and resets the counter when the door is closed. But that's all I can get it to do. There is no aperature indication in the viewfinder and it won't fire. I've looked at the wiring and boards and see no physical damage. Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks,
Malcolm

SKYE

Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am having the same problem as Malcolm.My Konica FS1 loads but does not fire a shot.I click and nothing happens. Please help,I hate to buy a new camera,because of the lenes I have. I don't know if they would fit a new one.
thanks

Henry

Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First...I've never worked on a FS-1. So whatever I might say is purely speculative to try and give you a place to start trouble shooting.

This is about the time that mechanical speeds started disappearing. So I'm assuming it has an electronically released mirror and second curtain. First, remove the bottom cover and see if you can mechanically reset it. The electronics are probably turned off when the mirror magnet got energized. The circuit does this so the memory capacitor doesn't change exposure value as the mirror rises. The electronics don't get turned back on until the camera has completely cycled.

First mechanically reset it then let us know what happens. Be sure to be looking through the viewfinder right after resetting.

Henry

Malcolm Campbell

Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thenks for the input Henry. On closer examination, what mine does is, after the film is loaded, pressing the trigger part way down causes the two extreem aperature led's to alternately flash. When the button is pushed all the way down, they stop flashing but the shutter does not fire. I can't get the led's to flash again unless I wind wind the film again. I can push a lever in the bottom of the camera and wind the film but the shutter does not fire at the same time. I can find no mechanical means to fire the shutter.

Malcolm

Frank Marshman

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good morning gentlemen. The problem both of you are probabling experiencing is unique to the Konica FS & FT cameras. When they were first produced they were the first to use pressure connectors between the flex's rather than hard wiring or soldering. This made them wonderful to repair from a time point of view. However the material used to press the connectors together was a rubber under the pressure plate. Over the years that rubber has deterriorated and has spread under the connectors causing them to no longer make the proper contacts. The easiest method to repair is to remove the connectors, 4 or 5 depending when it was made, scrape the rubber off all contacts, clean with isopropal alcohol, reassemble and use a new piece of rubber under the pressure plate. All of these connectors live under the top and are relatively easy to get to. A small amount of soldering is necessary but not much.

Good luck with the repair.

Frank Marshman
CAMERA WIZ camera repair

Malcolm Campbell

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Frank, thanks for the guidance. I don't see any connectors directly under the top but will disassemble further and look for them.

Malcolm

Malcolm Campbell

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update:

Well, when I started to take some of the circuitry off the top of the camera to get deeper into it, a soldered 5-contact ribbon connector between the meter and the processor fell off. It looked to be corroded and beyond repair so I now have a "fully dead" Konica FS-1!

I appreciate everyone's input. It will still look good on the shelf.

Malcolm

Guy

Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Malcolm don't give up yet. During my "learning curve" experience on tinkering with older cameras (and still continuing, "I'm just a novice"), I ended up buying about 5 or 6 Konica FS-1's to get one in as close as mint shape as I could. 4 of the 5 had the problems mentioned above, which I never was able figure out until I read this string of emails. So, if you want the part that I beleive you need,send me your coordinates and I'll send it to you, and you can try again. All I ask is that you reimburse the postage fee. Regards.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration