Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

What do you call this screwdriver? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » What do you call this screwdriver? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Frank Bridges

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of my cameras has a pressure plate held in place by two screws that have a head with two little dots instead of a slot . It looks like a little smiley face without a mouth. What do you call the kind of screwdriver it would take to repair this? Micro tools doesnt have a picture of anything that looks usable.

Steve

Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My brother, it's a kind of spanner. Here's a picture from Micro Tools of a variation of one. I'm sure there are other types, but the idea is the same. A Yahoo or Google search will cough up quite a selection. You could maybe even improvise one if need be.

http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SPP&Store_Code=MT

rick oleson

Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i think those are generally called pin-face screws. there are screwdrivers made that look like a regular slot-type driver except that the blade has a sort of slot at the tip, dividing into a pair of pins on either side of the slot.... these are made in different sizes to fit the spacing of the holes in the screw heads. of course you can make your own by filing a screwdriver blade... i do this with the interchangeable 1/4"-hex type interchangeable blade tips so i can fit a lot of different sizes into one small drawer in the toolbox.

sometimes you can get these out with the tips of a pointed tweezer, too......

: ) =

rick

Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

let's see if this link works:

http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPage.asp?ReqTyp=CATALOG&CtlgPgNbr=2653&CtlgEdition=&sesnextrep

charlie

Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 07:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have seen them listed as "snake eyes". You can make a small wrench by rebending a paperclip and gripping it with pliers close to the tips.

David Ritchie

Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just an added thought to Charlie's suggestion. Use vise grips instead of pliars to get a tight grip on the paper clip which will better stay in place.

paul ron

Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sometimes I use a pointy pair of sharp surgical scisors as my spanner.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration