Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica Auto S-2 Lightmeter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Konica Auto S-2 Lightmeter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Dvorak

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am in the process of bringing an Auto S-2 back to life, but the lightmeter refuses to co-operate....

This is what I have determined so far: I have continuity from battery terminals to meter cell, as well as to the meter unit itself. Battery check used to work, now it does not.

I seem to recall from previous threads that there used to be a problem with the battery compartment itself, but cannot find it through search. I have Mike Feuerbacher's excellent article on the Auto S-2, but it does not address my problem.

Any ideas from the usual gurus?

Many thanks,

Jan

CJ

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 02:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jan--

I'm not sure if you've checked this already, but according to the information I've read on the Auto S2, the battery check button can become corroded/oxidized such that it won't pass current. Have you surveyed that part of the bottom of the camera?

-CJ

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 04:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your camera is not the first one with a broken galvanometer. Fortunately I had kept a spare when I received my 'final' Auto-S2.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CJ,

I recall reading about this before, but do not understand why a faulty battery test contact would impede the operation of the meter. I do have continuity between the battery compartment and the meter cell.

Winfried,

Is there a way to check the galvanometer? As you can probably tell, I am a better mechanical tinkerer than an electronic wizard.....

Thanks for the hints!

Jan

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got it!

It was the battery test switch, thanks CJ. I was trying to open the battery holder, as it is made of two halves, but could not get the two screws that hold it together, to budge.

Then I noticed that the battery test button actually closes a diffrent circuit when NOT depressed. As I could not get inside the battery holder, I used a thin Exacto knife to scrape the surface of the contacts and - presto! Meter came to life!

Happy Jan

CJ

Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 07:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jan,

Glad you fixed it...it's a great feeling when you're able to get some extant piece of machinery or electronics working again.

By the way, I take no credit for the contact issue fix; much of the information that I have on my cameras has been gleaned from current and previous posts to this forum; we've got many knowledgeable and friendly people on here--such as Rick and Winifried to name just two!

-CJ

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well.... If my memory was better I would have remembered the battery test switch issue. All I did remember was a vague idea that something like this was covered on the forum in the past. And to make it even worse, I had a similar problem on an S2 before and fixed it. Now I see the logic behind Rick's sketches of just about anything he worked on in the past.

My wife claims I suffer from 'room to room memory loss' and I guess she's right.

Now - where did I put that S2 I worked on yesterday morning........

All the best,

Jan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration