Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Shutter not closing on B setting Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Shutter not closing on B setting « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Praktica BMS (not sure if you'd call it a classice yet?) It all works as it should but last weekend we were trying to do a 15 minuite exposure of star trails and the shutter wouldn't close when the shutter button was released.When the battery was dislodged the mirror dropped & the shutter closed as it should have done when releasing the button.

The camera works fine on all the other shutter speeds including 4 seconds and the battery is the correct Duracell and has been in for just 2 weeks.

Can anyone tell me what this is likely to be or give me some pointers to look for?

Many thanks
Chris

Stuart Willis

Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you dislodged the battery you broke the circuit and removed the current from the shutter solenoid which then reversed its position and allowed the mechanical completion of the cycle.

Best guess is that the micro-switch shutter release is a bit sticky. Given the camera is AOK in all other respects including the 4 second exposure - you might not find it worthwhile to remove the top-plate and investigate unless you are regularly into those long time-exposures.

Best

Stuart Willis

charlie

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To avoid any motion blurring while you try to close the shutter you can hold a black card in front of the lens long enough to slip a lens cap on and then deal with the battery/sticky shutter. You can also use the card in the middle of the exposure to blank out passing airplanes, UFO's, etc.

Chris

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Stuart. The camera will be used quite a lot for Astrophotography so it may be worth having a look.

Thanks Charlie too! I use the black card method but was just holding it on the lens whilst I sorted out the battery. Never thought about putting the cap back on!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration