Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

New AF lenses on older AF cameras Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » New AF lenses on older AF cameras « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently picked up a Minolta 5000 body in fairly good shape, as a second Minolta body. I placed a 35-135M AF lens on it and my test roll shots all came back very dark. Opening up the back and lowering the shutter speed to about 1 sec., and snapping the shutter, I notice that the lens stays stopped down to around F16. Placing a Quantaray AF lens from my Minolta 500si on it, it does the same thing, the aperature will not open up when the shutter is released. However, when placing both lenses on my 500si, the lenses work as they're supposed to. Removing the lens on the 5000 and snapping the shupper, everything appears to be in working order - the tab that opens up the lens diaphram is working as it is supposed to. Is it possible that some of the newer AF lenses will not work on older AF cameras? It appears that the tab on the 5000, which opens up the lens diaphram is not long enough to trip the diaphram. Any suggestions?

Gary Janchik

Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those lenses are fine for that model. Your camera needs repair. You have a dirty aperture magnet interface. It is located to the right and below the prism (inside). If you pull the top cover and front trim (release side only), you will see the aperture magnet hiding behind a small piece of plastic trim. The magnet would be easy to clean at that point except for the clear plastic dirt shield around the magnet anvil assy. You can create an opening with a soldering tip or carefully remove it with an x-acto knife. Just be carefull not to leave behind plastic debris or they will damage the shutter. Use a small piece of paper towel or kim wipe dipped in alchohol and tweezers to clean both surfaces. Last, blow out all dirt and debris and rebuild.

That should fix it!

Gary Janchik

Harlee

Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Gary,

At this point, I think the safest thing to do would be to try and get a refund on the camera. Not that I paid that much for the camera, but I have too many other cameras that need some TLC.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration