Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Supply of UNC Miniature Machine Screws Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Supply of UNC Miniature Machine Screws « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I require a small supply of Countersunk,Raised Slothead Machine Screws in UNC sizes 1 and 2 approx 3/16 to 1/4 inch long.Not all that common in UK and where available come in boxes of 1000! Anybody in US know of a supplier who does small packs of these-say in 20/50 or100? They can be in steel,Ni plated steel or Ni plated brass. I have seen these go by the name of countersunk oval slothead. Thanks Glenn

Dan Cluley

Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know of a specific source, but have you tried any Model Railroad or Radio Control Plane/Car suppliers?

David Ritchie

Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 05:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, it sounds as if you are traveling the same road as I for a long time. Since you are in the UK, you may be looking for either the English thread or metric.I have looked for metric, to use on a Leica, and found no source, but did learn that the netric screws of a certain description vary slightly from country to country. The slope, the height and head in general are different. One European advised that Russian screws most likely would be the best bet. I have purchases small packages of metric screws here in the USA, but they do not match the German screws in a Leica. My source was Cam-Comp, 29149 Brown Road, Saegertown Pa. 16433 USA. Web: cam-corp.com. Do not know if they are still in business or not but give it a try. They had a catalogue. Again, these metric screws did not match Leica, but may meet you needs.Expect to pay around $5 US for a pack of 25 plus postage. Good Luck

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,yes the very same road but also early FED and Zorki as well as Leica.Firstly; yes these small slot head screws do or did have varying 'standards',not only from country to country but from manufacturer to manufacturer.In the 1930/1960s it seems the camera makers tended to stick with one source of fasteners to guarantee sameness. Also some screws sold as meteric are not metric atall,ie I have a supply of 1.7M x 5mm slotheads-clearly marked and sold as such. They are in fact 10BA x 3/16 by actual manufacture. Actually proved this by tracing actual manufacturer from packaging/batch codes,bulk old stock relabelled by 3rd party.Secondly your comment about Russian screws is interesting.I have been trying to find out what system of threads the Russians used in the 30/40/50s. Some have said that the UNC/UNF system was used,others say they used the same as the prototype they were copying! The interesting thing is that all my early FED/Zorki (1946/1952ish) mic out as UNC-but this could be just wear or poor manufacturing standards.Going back to your Leica search; what bit was not correct Head or thread form? As you may know BA hex head screws were tightly specified and you can get these with a head size 1 below normal,ie an 8BA bolt will have a 9BA hex head.Makes a neater job when model engineering.I gather the same was applied to slothead screws and not only the BA ones either. In the case of later FED/Zorki products the heads are bigger and appear tight in early tapped holes.Thanks for your interesting post.Glenn

Peter wallage

Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could try Fast Fix in the UK. have a look at http://www.fastfixdirect.co.uk/code/navigation.asp?fType=Fasteners&MainCategoryID=56023

The smallest they start at seems to be M2 but they supply small quantities - 40 or 50.

Peter

Dean Williams

Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try www.smallparts.com
They sell all manner of unc/unf fasteners starting at #0x80, #1x72, #2x56 etc, in many different material grades, (brass, carbon, stainless). The really good news is that quantities start at packs of 10. They are in the US, though.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For years, I've bought small electronic gizmos (radios, tape players, whatever) at garage and yard sales. Buy those made in the same country as the cameras you plan to service, if possible and don't pay more than 50 cents to a dollar each. Especially look for cassette tape players. Strip them to bits. You'll find a wealth of small screws, nuts, springs, etc, and you'll pay far less than you'll pay from any specialty retailer.

Jon

chris burck

Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

glenn,

just an anectdotal comment which may or may not be relevant to the questioin of fsu cameras. . . .

the soviet aircraft industry, in a way very similar to their camera/optical industry, has been much maligned. there are a number of myths wherein certain totally original aircraft are called 'clones' or 'copies' of western designs.

there is, however, a grain of truth to one of these myths. in the late forties, the high command provided an intact B-29 bomber (don't recall to which design house, or the circumstances by which the plane was acquired--perhaps the famous 'lost squadron'?). Stalin had ordered the plane be copied.

it was disassebled and detailed drawings were made, down to the last part. but the aircraft which resulted, while analogous to the original, ended up being entirely home-grown because of imcompatibilities across the board ***including of fastening hardware such as screws/nuts/bolts***

anyway, sorry for the OT.

-chris

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration