Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ibsor dial-set shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Ibsor dial-set shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Wallage

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Has anyone been inside an Ibsor dial-set shutter? The one on my recently acquired 6x9 Ihagee Ultrix works OK except that the slow speeds from 1/10sec down to 1sec all seem to be the same as 1/25sec. It would seem that the slow speed escapement is not engaging.

I haven't taken it off the camera, but from looking at it, the shutter appears to be built 'back to front' so that you have to go in from the back. Can anyone confirm this?

I would also like to date the camera if I can. I've trawled the web and it seems Ihagee made the Ultrix from the mid 1920s to the mid/late 1930s in several film formats with dozens of different lens/shutter combinations. All the pictures I've come across have rim-set shutters, so when did the dial-set Ibsor die out?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

JIM

Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter-
Can you describe the camera in more detail. My
2005-06 copy of McKeown's guide shows 2 plus pages
of Ultrix cameras, a number of which have dialset shutters. Like to help if I can.

JIM

Peter Wallage

Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Jim,

My Ultrix is 6x9 only, not dual format. The lens is f/4.5, 10.5cm, and is labelled Ihagee Anastigmat though I believe Ihagee bought all its lenses out, at least at that time. It's in almost pristine condition and is pretty well identical to the Auto Ultrix in the Ihagee advert shown on

http://www.exaktaphile.com/ads/am.html

except that it has a dial-set Ibsor shutter, so I imagine it's a few years older. My copy of McKeowns (an old one, 1992-92) doesn't go into much detail about them.

Regards,

Peter

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Peter: I have an Ibsor on an almost identical camera to yours, a 6x9 Voigtlander Vag. I took it apart and found it very obvious and straightforward to work on. Unfortunately, can't remember any of the details, but I do remember that this shutter is quite a bit simpler than the Compur dialset ones.

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and to answer your question, I'm pretty sure I was able to open the shutter from the front. In that way it was built pretty much like a Compur.

rick oleson

Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have some notes on the dial set compur, if you think that would be any help.

: ) =

jim

Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter- I agree that the earlier McKeown books are a bit spare in places. The latest one has a whole lot more coverage. From your link(I have one of the Duplex models shown first), the Ultrix was intoduced in 1923 and had a wood body and aluminum bed. In 1925 a new smaller all aluminum body was introduced with a hinged back,U-shaped lens standard and a brilliant finder (from1928 on also a frame finder). The lens and shutter combo you list is listed as Nr.1460. A bunch of other lens shutter combos are also listed. Production of all models ceased in 1935.
Hope this is of some help.
JIM

Jani Heikkinen

Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 06:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I remember correctly the Ibsor shutter can be opened by removing a couple of screws from the behind and the mechanisms are attached to the front side part of the shutter, kind of reversed. Otherwise it is a very simple shutter.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration