Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon QL17 GIII ..Setting speed to"B"... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon QL17 GIII ..Setting speed to"B" setting. shutter won't stay open « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ken H

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have this Canon QL17 GIII and when I set the shutter speed to the "B" setting and hold down the button, the shutter should stay open for as long as I hold it....problem is.. it does not stay open but closes at approx 1/30 sec..??? I have checked the leg on the speed ring and it does not appear to be bent...can someone shed a bit of light on what I should be checking or what is the cause of this problem.??

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The problem probably is deep inside the shutter. All shutters I have seen have a lever in the release mechanism preventing the shutter from closing immediately after releasing the shutter button (or after the escapement has released the blade mechanism). In the B setting, this lever is allowed to move. In all other settings it is blocked by a cam on the speed cam disk. Maybe this lever is gummed up, or its spring is loose. Unfortunately the shutter innards of the Canonet are very difficult to access, and I would recommend NOT to try it if you can live with this defect.

Kim Coxon

Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ken,
Bearing in mind your experience of Canonets, and the fact you are always chasing lenses, it shouldn't worry you too much about getting at the mech although the early large models are easier to get at. Do you want me to send a scan of the relevent page from the repair manual?

Kim

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration