Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vivitar/Tokina Series 1 70-210 f3.5 r... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Vivitar/Tokina Series 1 70-210 f3.5 repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bruce

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Vivitar (Tokina) series 1 70-210 f3.5 zoom. I'd like to pull the front element so I can clean some fungus off the back. So far, I've been able to unscrew the 58mm ring from the front of the lens, but now I'm stuck. Removing the three set screws from the outer barrel doesn't help (they just keep the front element from rotating). Any suggestions?

Bruce

Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the record, I managed to unscrew the front element by twisting and pushing the mount (with the aperture ring held tight) towards the front of the lens. Oh, and the diameter of the front ring is 62mm - not 58mm.

Kiron Kid

Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bruce is correct. And if your front ring is 58mm's, you have one of the Cosina made model's, not the second edition (Tokina) one.

Regarding Viv S-1 glass. There are numerous (8) Series 1, 70-210 lenses. However, for the sake of discussion, we will deal with the first five. The 4th & 5th editions are nothing to seriously consider, so we will concentrate on the first three editions, which are the good one's. The 4th & 5th editions are also 2.8-4 variable aperture model's, but lacking in construction quality (Cosina built). Due to the fact that the third one is a variable aperture lens, (2.8-4) it will be somewhat sharper than a fixed aperture lenses. It is much easier to design and build a quality variable aperture lens.
The first edition was designed by Vivitar (Ellis Betensky had a hand in it) and built by Kiron. (67mm filter-macro engagement collar)) It is a professional caliber lens, with a 1:2 macro feature built into it. It was the first zoom, designed with the aid of computers, that truly rivaled the OEM lenses of the time. That was in "76." It is a very high quality zoom, that will deliver professional quality results.

The second edition (my personal favorite) was built by Tokina, per, Vivitars specs. It too, is a fixed 3.5 aperture, but smaller, lighter and sharper. (62mm filter size). I really like it because of the fixed 3.5 aperture which is nice for focusing in dim light and long range flash work. However, not a true macro, 1:4 life size. However, it deliver's extremely good results!

The third edition was made by Komine, and like the first two, is very well built. It is a 2.8-4 variable aperture lens, and the sharpest of the bunch. It has 1:2.5 life size macro from 100-210mm's, with a working distance of about two feet. Which can be quite useful,too prevent your own shadow from falling onto the subject, or when shooting fractious crittures. (Rattlesnakes) Been there, done that. Can you see a discernible difference in slides taken with either one of them? Probably not! Don't get caught up in bench tests. Any of the first three editions will give you professional-publishable images. I really like this lens, and in time, may become my favorite.

Personally, I recommend the second or third edition of the line. I have and use all three of the first editions, and can highly recommend any one of them. Superb optics and construction.

Also, the Kiron 70-210 f/4, is an excellent performer that deliver's professional caliber results.

If you have anymore questions about the Vivitar or Kiron lenses, or want more detailed information on a particular lens, please don't hesitate to ask. I also have the the production code for the Vivitar lens line, which enables me to identify the manufacturer, and date of manufacture, for any of the Vivitar lenses. Are you aware of the Viv S-1 28-90 the Kiron 28-85 or the Kiron 28-105? As for Kiron glass, well that's another discussion.....

DarkAgeCat

Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I've just aquired a similar (second edition vivitar series one) lens and quite probably overpaid for it. ($100) However I do have a 30 day moneyback gaurentee, and have distressingly discovered a rust spot on the barrel under the zoom flange. Any idea how damaging this will be over the next few years and if I should simply give up and return the lens? Is there anyway to repair and maintain this in the future?

Thanks,
DarkAgeCat

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration