Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Checking Lens For Fungus Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Checking Lens For Fungus « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Ritchie

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is anyone aware of a type of light that will more easily make fungus on a lens stand out when the light is shown through the lens? I am not aware of anything ever being mentioned, but one could think in terms of color, polarized light, fluorescent, or some other. Somewhere I saw a reference to light from an LED being used. Anyone know of this?

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I find that a bright, focused light source, like a penlight flashlight, directed from the opposite end back toward you through the lens, works well. Do this from both ends. Any fungus, dirt or haze on the surface tends to stand out, where if the lens is clean you see nothing as the light just passes through. Some people have used laser pointers for this but they don't work as well for me as a regular flashlight (the new bright-LED type work too)

Lorenzo

Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe black light should work relatively well.

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That sounded interesting, so I just tried it. It didn't work.... fungus that was easily visible in ordinary room light with the naked eye was not visible under black light in a darkened room.

rick : ) =

David Ritchie

Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, I just bought a new inexpensive Eveready pen light with two AAA batteries which has a very bright light compared to the old pen lights that I have had in the past. Do you suspect that this light is LED? Regardless, it works better than the old dimmer light, and I found that you need to shine the light at an angle. Too bright to view straight thru.

rick

Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I think it's a regular bulb. I have a couple that I think may be the same as yours, one white and one black enameled aluminum barrels, the switch and pocket clip unscrew to load the batteries. This has a regular bulb with a focusing tip.

Yes, you shine at an angle so that you can see the surface of the glass illuminated against a dark background.

:)=

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration