Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus XA focus adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Olympus XA focus adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

tim

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I tried my new XA with a roll of tmax100 after having a look at it's inside.
I restored the foam, cleaned the rangefinder and solved fungus on the lense.

But I'm disapointed with the sharpness. I tried every apertures and speeds, but the pictures are not so sharp, indeed worth than my GIII.
I've adjusted the lense focus on infinity with tape and an 135 slr as described here but...

So, is the lense so cheap or can I adjust the floating lense in a better way? it doesn't seem so easy in the repair manual. I just disassemble , clean and reassemble the lense. How can I do a focus adjustment? (infinity focus seems ok...)

Thanks for advise.
Tim

John Shriver

Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You probably really need the use of the jigs called out in the repair manual. It sounds like the lens requires very critical adjustments to be sharp.

Tim

Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
you're probably right, it should be better but I have no jig.
Infinity focus seems ok in my "monocular collimator" but maybe it can be better.
The good question is : is this lens sharp or not?
I was thinking so before, reading articles and forums. But now I think it is very inferior to minox, mju and others.

If one say the lens is alter ego of minox or another one, I will spend time in making a "jig" of 5,629 mm to adjust the floating lens! Maybe you know where to find one?
In the contrary, it is not a problem, I like this camera, it is nice and usefull!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration