Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax Spotmatic SP - Meter Calibration Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Pentax Spotmatic SP - Meter Calibration « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

William Martins

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone with some experience calibrating a Pentax Spotmatic SP jump in here with me and learn me how to tweak the damn thing!

I know there is a calibration port under the rewind knob. Is it necessary to tear the camera down completely? Or will just gaining access to the port suffice. Also, I understand the needle of the ammeter must rest at the center of the notch when 3 microamps is applied. I don't have a power supply that will produce that kind of
load. Should the meter be centered without a battery or does it sag a bit toward the bottom? Any help appreciated.

Tony Duell

Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never attempted to calibrate a Pentax Spotmatic (IMHO any manufacturer who uses a bridge circuit for the meter, and sets it up so that the state you're aiming for is not the electrically balanced state of the bridge is insane, but I digress...)

Anyway, if it needs 3 uA to centre the needle, then fairly clearly with no battery (and thus no current through the meter coil), the needle should not be centred. I _thionk_ it should be below centre.

To get the 3uA calibration current you can use a DC power supply (even a battery) and a suitable resistor. Remember that 1V will cause 1uA to flow through 1MOhm. So a 3V battery and a 1MOhm (brown-black-green colour bands) resistor in series will act as a 3uA source. Strictly, it's the _total_ circuit resistance, including the internal resistance of the PSU and the meter coil that should be 1MOhm, but I suspect the error in ignoring that is insignificant.

Berk Sirman

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In very early spotmatics the needle rests in the middle when the meter is off. In later models (65 and onwards) the needle sits on the bottom when meter is off. They modified it so that people wouldn't just look at the needle when the meter is off and think they had the perfect exposure.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration