Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A1 Power "outage" Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon A1 Power "outage" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gerard Curley

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Canon A1 operates great at room temperture, but tends to shut down when the camera gets the slightest bit cooler (like 5 degrees Cel.). Then the electronics appear to shut down, there's no display in the viewfinder, the battery tester doesn't blink, and the shutter does not fire. I replaced the battery and cleaned contacts but the problem continues. Anybody have similar problem? Any ideas?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ageing IC's etc can exhibit this but try this first.Remove battery and keep it at room temperature.Cold soak the A1 at around 0 deg C until it has reached a stable temperature.Insert battery and see what happens.More often than not it is the battery that is problem.That is why Canon produced the Battery Pack MA for the A1.You operate the camera with the pack inside your clothing.IF this does not solve the problem,then it could be the special connectors between the flexi circuit ribbons.These depend on a piece of rubber to press the two ribbons together.As the rubber can degrade,temperature differences can course continuity problems.I assume that you are trying to operate the camera in the cold environment and not bringing it into a warmer room first.Condensation can cause problems.I have only suffered from condensation and battery problems due to the cold and would not like to think of which component could be failing

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration