Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ricoh Diacord G (sticky aperture)... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Ricoh Diacord G (sticky aperture) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Doug

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 04:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently acquired a near mint Diacord whose only issue is a sticky but usable aperture. It has a Citzen shutter. I have some shutter CLA experience with simple medium format folders, Richoflex TLR, etc. Is is pretty straight forward? That is, remove the front leatherette, screws, etc.? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Gary Turner

Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently cleaned the blades in a Ricoh Diacord that had a sticky aperture. I used a rubber stopper to carefully unscrew the taking lens black name ring with front lens cell attached. It unscrewed rather easily. I then cleaned the blades using very small amounts of naphtha on small compressed bits of Kleenex held with bent tip tweezers. I alternated Kleenex tissues between damp and dry (to wick up the residue) until the blades were fully clean and dry. Once the lens was reinstalled the shutter operated perfectly at all speeds. Fortunately I did not see any need to go further into disassembly for any shutter cleaning. Of course your particular camera may need more thorough cleaning (hopefully not). In my opinion these Diacords are superb cameras, amongst the very best of Japanese efforts to build a high quality TLR.

Doug

Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Gary. What I was referring to was the iris diaphram that is sticky, not the shutter blades. Because they are behind the shutter leaves, I think I'm in for complete disassembly. The shutter on my seems very good at all speeds. I agree totally that the Diacord is one of the best. Everyone wants Yashicas ( which I have). The Diacord is solid, well built with superb optics.

Gary Turner

Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doug,

Unless you have a mechanical linkage problem (?) the iris (aperture) blades are easily cleaned in the same fashion as shutter blades by removing the front and rear lens groups. Rear group is removed after spinning off the outer slotted retainer. Just place the shutter on B and keep the shutter open as the blades are cleaned.

If the solution is not going to be easy, let's hope there are some experts in the forum who will comment in detail on their Diacord disassembly experiences.

Doug

Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advice Gary . I will proceed cautiously.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration