Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Russian FED 5C Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Russian FED 5C « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had in my possession for over a year now a new black FED 5C rangefinder camera. I've not shot any pics with it, but while tripping the shutter, I notice that at shutter speeds lower than 1/60th, the second shutter curtain moves across the film plane very slowly. Above 1/60th it works fine. Is this a lube problem or a spring tensioning problem? Or is the low speed escapement sluggish. This is a brand new camera, in the box, but of course made in Russia!!! Is there any help for Ivan?

Dave p

Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
Fire it high speed many many times. That will free it up but it really does need a clean and lube...........

John Cribbin

Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 04:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Harlee,

I fully go along with Dave p that the camera needs a CLA. The old Soviet lubricants are notorious for turning to glue over the years. I recently had the same problem on an old FED 2 where the second shutter just stayed open on B. I increased the tension on the second curtain by half a turn and it now works perfectly. Of course this will not substitute for a proper service, but it should allow you to shot film.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 5 series were probably the worst assembled and set up Feds ever.The fact that this camera is new would suggest that setting up the shutter correctly might be the answer.Take the top off and you can easily check the slow speed escapement and then properly tension the rollers.The second blind should always run slower than the first-see Rick Oleson's site to remove top.Also check that the two gears at bottom of camera are not full of alloy chips.If the lub has thickened, a 2mm drop of WD40 on each gear will allow you to set the shutter correctly.Crudely built maybe,but very simple to set up and you can get superb negatives out of these Russian cameras.I have built a number of 'throw in your pocket/take anywhere specials using Zorki 1f shutter-bodies and a variety of M39 lenses.Always given me superb results.

Harlee

Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys. I think I'd like to tighten up the tension of the second curtain first before removing the top, or do you have to remove the top to tighten up the tension of the second curtain? Also, what's the web site for Rick Olsen? Where are the gears located on the bottom of the camera to clean off?

rick oleson

Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would advise against tightening the curtain tension before cleaning the shutter first: you'd only be masking a symptom, and if you started to use the camera and it began to free up, your second curtain would start running way too fast and the shutter would run closed at the faster speeds.

my tech notes page is at http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-27.html .... it doesn't address teh FED5 specifically, but the FED3 and the Zorki4 have basically the same shutter.

: ) =

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration