Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A1 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon A1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harold

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While snapping the shutter on my A1, it suddenly stopped. Won't wind, can't trip the shutter. I know this is generally indicative of a spent battery, so I replaced the battery with one from my AE-1, which works, but still can't wind or trip the shutter. It acts as though it's cocked. Is there any way to release the shutter through the bottom? I tried manually closing the magnets, but that doesn't help. HELP!!!

Ed

Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

check thru the viewfinder and see if you have any indication of power--lights, etc.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 07:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have 'EEEEEEEE' in finder,if so use double exposure routine-lever under wind on nearest serial nos-Operate wind on, Fire shutter.This resets the A1 under these conditions.

Harold

Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't get the "EEEEEEEEEEE" in the finder, but it is giving the shutter speed and the proper F stop in the viewfinder. It still feels as though it is wound, but will not fire. HELP!

Glenn Taylor

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is no help to you Harold but I have just experienced a similar problem for the first time with my 25 year old Canon A1.
It must be that time of year ! lol

Advanced the film - shutter won't fire.
Battery tests ok (little red light flashes quickly. Replaced battery anyway !
Made no difference.
Tried to use the Multiple Exposure lever to see if the shutter was only half-cocked. The Multiple Exposure lever won't move smoothly, as if something is resisting it and it won't move all the way to the left..
Viewfinder shows correct shutter speed and F stop.

If no-one has any suggestions for this, I'll try re-winding the film back into the can and opening the camera back to see if there is anything obviously stuck.
Can't think of any other ideas.

Good luck :-)
Glenn.

Glenn Taylor

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 05:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update.
Rewound film into can and removed can.
Pressed shutter button. Still nothing.
Moved film advance lever and it clicked, as if it had not been fully advanced from the last frame.
Pressed shutter button and it worked !

Moral of my story - Don't let your 15 year old son, who is only used to digital stuff, borrow your classic SLR film camera, at least not until after he has been properly apprenticed :-)
Glenn

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,
Not being able to move multiple exposure lever fully over is classic sign that wind -on cycle not completed.If your son had reached end of film and this was cause of incomplete cycle,then all is OK.However if the incomplete cycle was not at end of film you could have a bit of dirt in your 25 year old classic,I would give it a bit of an internal clean.

Harold,
In your original post you state that 'you tried closing the magnets'.Are you saying that the metal saddles that are normally on the poles of the two electro- magnets (in base of camera) when shutter is cocked, are in the released position, ie there is a gap between poles and saddles?If this is so, the camera has jammed in middle of shutter travel cycle or at an early stage in wind-on cycle.What are the positions of the shutter blinds,in a normal released,cocked or mid-travel position?Operation of A1 is quite simple and logical but some faults can be caused by more than one failure route.You can mail me direct with the above information if you wish,also indicate how happy you are diving into the A1's internals!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration