Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Old filter thread sizes (23mm, 32mm, ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Old filter thread sizes (23mm, 32mm, 29.5mm) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm trying to find a hood and a lens cap to fit some of my old 1950s cameras. I guess the thread sizes are not in common use now, because I can't find them in the stores here. I've seen a lot of accessories with ¡§Series¡¨ sizes, but I haven't a clue as to what the actual thread diameters the various Series size have. Does anybody have a link to some kind of cross-reference? I don't actually want to use the old 'series' fliters with their adapters and retainers, and such. I just want a hood and a cap.

The lenses I have appear to have inside (female) filter threads of 23mm, 29.5mm, and 32mm. Any idea whether these sizes correspond to any of the ¡§Series¡¨ thread sizes?

M Currie

Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The series "n" filters I have are unthreaded, fitting into an adapter, and the adapters are usually push-on rather than threaded. This way, a single set of filters could be used with several slightly different lens sizes.

Curt

Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 06:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Scott,
Series filters themselves are unthreaded and slip into an adapter. Adapters are either threaded, bayonet or slip on, they all hold the same series filters. You'll find them by Tiffen, Walz, Enteco, Ednalite, and Kodak among others. The sizes you're quoting are available in Series 5 according to my Lens Thread Diameters to Tiffen Filter Stock Guide. You could also read the Rangefinderforums thread on "How to use Series Filters" thread. Some good info there too.

Robert

Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

29.5mm is the Kodak Retina size...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration