Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Sears Ks-2 cable release problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Sears Ks-2 cable release problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dan

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm new to SLR cameras in general, and just acquired a Sears KS-2 off ebay. Anyway, I bought a cable release and screwed it into the threads in the center of the shutter release button. When I try to use it, well-doesn't work. I'm pushing the release, and get nothing but heavy resistance. Is something broken/stuck, or do I have to have a specific release for this camera? Or maybe I'm just a moron and I'm not doing this right at all...

rick

Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The KS2 works with a standard cable release. Check that the center rod in yours is not too large to fit through the hole in the camera's shutter release button, and that the cable works freely when it is not attached to the camera. There should not be much resistance, it's just closing a switch in the camera.

Dan

Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It screws in properly, no size problems or anything. The cable also works properly when not attached. checked for all those things before I came here. Double checked, and everything fits right, there's just no movement going on, it's not tripping the shutter. So, I don't know what the problem is. Something must be stuck, maybe?

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.

rick oleson

Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My only guess is that the rod of the cable is too large for the hole in the button. Here's a way to check:

If you have a set of drill bits, start with the smallest and poke it in the hole in the button and see if it releases the shutter (without pushing the button in the process). If it works, try the next size up until you encounter one that won't fit in the hole. Now compare the diameter of the last 2 bits with that of the shaft in the cable release.....

: ) =

Dan

Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm...tried this out. Nothing. The bits go all the way to the bottom of the opening, and the only reason the shutter fires is because I end up pushing the button down (not because I'm clumsy and pressing the button, but because it's hitting the bottom of the opening and pushing it down, if the difference makes sense...). I also tried this with the cable release itself-rather than screwing it into the hole, I pushed the rod all the way down and screwed down the lock to keep it out. I put it in the hole, and got the same result-went all the way to the bottom of the hole, and accomplished nothing but pushing down the button.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

-Dan

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do not know this camera but the only logical explanation of what is happening is that the inner of the cable release is not passing through the bottom of the release button.This is the only way you can get the button to depress under these circumstances.To prove that you do in fact push the button repeat with camera upside down.If the button does not move then the button was moving under gravity when camera right way up and somethings broken.If on the other hand the button moves then you have three possibilities;1,Manufacturing fault,hole in bottom of button either not drilled or finished properly.2,Broken end of cable release inner stuck in camera.3,Camera has been taken apart and the actuating rod has gone walkabout.Anybody who knows the innards of the Canon A1 will know to what I am referring and perhaps this camera has a similar internal linkage.You will either have to look inside or use the selftimer,if there is one fitted

Leslie Johanson

Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently got a Sears KS-2 (a Ricoh clone) at a 2nd hand store for my daughter to learn the joys of non-digital SLR's. It seems that the exposure counter is not resetting when I open the back. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Leslie

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration