Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rollei 35b lens question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Rollei 35b lens question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonathan

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just got a rollei 35b which works fine but has 2 minor problems:

1. Focus is lumpy: old grease I think.

2. The lens has two distance scales; ft&m. Currently feet is topmost, metres on the bottom. I think in metres, so I'd like to flip the scales.

I can remove the lens/aperature/shutter unit from the collapsible tube, but can't figure out how to get into it.

Any hints or suggestions?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Reiner

Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jonathan,

I have never been into the lens of a Rollei 35 but have an idea of how to do it. If you look from the front onto the lens you should find somewhere a little notch within the cover ring. With a small hook (dentists tool) or a needle you should be able to lift the cover ring off (I have tested that). Under the ring you should find the entrance into the lens internals. When you turn the distance scales pay attention that you do not loose the correct infinity focus.

If you intend to relube the focus helicoid you have to re-adjust the focus anyway.

Jonathan

Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reiner,

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip and tell how it went.

After removing the trim ring as you suggested I found 3 screws. Taking these out released the focusing ring and distance scale. A second silver ring under this limits focus travel. I removed this and the front element / focusing unit screwed out.(The Triotar seems to focus by just moving the front element in and out.) Cleaned out the helicoid & relubed. No more lumpyness! When I reassembled, I changed the distance scale to metres. I reset infinity using ground glass at the focal plane and a loupe.

Anyway it's working smoothly and ready for a field test now. Thanks again!

Best regards,
Jonathan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration