Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OMG Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Olympus OMG « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob Cochran

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently acquired an Olympus OMG that wasn't working at a yard sale. The seller thought it might just be the battery. Since I only paid $10 for it and a Canon 50mm f3.5 Macro w/ extension tube NIB (please don't arrest me for stealing), I figured I had nothing to loose.

Well, with new batteries it still won't snap. As this is my first Olympus, I have been experimenting but can't seem to get it to go. It was fully wound when I got it and shutter position looks correct. I have read some of the things like resetting, self timer, etc. and will give these a try. Any thoughts other than these "obvious" that I should look at before adding it to the collection of "nice looking but not functioning" cameras that I display?

By the way, I'm a novice at tearing these things apart, but as I said, what do I have to loose.

Thanks
Bob

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Put the Olympus on the shelf and have some fun with that steal of a macro lens.Please don't say you also bartered the seller down to $10!!

Bob Cochran

Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry...he wanted $5 for the camera and $10 for the lens. I offered $10 for both and he took it.

Graham Serretta

Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 03:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob - Your OMG probably has a sticky or stuck release electro-magnet. This is a common OM10/OMG problem. If you do a web search there is plenty of information regarding this repair. The electromagnet is located under the mirror-box floor and requires cleaning with alchohol or lighter fluid.

Ryan Bowman

Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had some weird behavior with an OMG that you might want to look for in your camera. Some shoddy wiring near the mode selector dial was shorting out against the top plate and causing the mirror to get stuck. If I pressed down on the top plate I could break the short and get the mirror to work properly. I assume it was due to a sloppy repair at some point in the past? A strip of electrical tape on the underside of the top plate was all I needed to break the short permanently. Not elegant, but good enough until I can pay off college and get a nicer camera. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration