Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praktica Super TL2 Film Advance Problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Praktica Super TL2 Film Advance Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Platts

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 06:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I wind on the film the gaps between the frames become larger so I get around 24 shots from a 36 exposure film. It's like the take up mechanism is not adjusting/compensating for the increasing diameter of the wound on film. Anyone seen this before and know the answer?

best regards
Rich

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is happening is that the take-up spool is pulling the film through the camera,hence the ever increasing gaps as effective diameter of take-up spool gets bigger.What is supposed to happen is that the sprockets should pull the film through and the take-up spool does just that,helps coil the film.The only compensation mechanism present is that the take-up spool can slip on the wind-on shaft.

A gear in the wind-on train has either stripped or come loose.Another possibility is that the sprocket assembly has worked loose.To test this, wind on and then see if you can rotate the sprocket assembly with gentle finger pressure.Only rotate in direction of film movement.The exposure interlock should prevent movement but if you can rotate the assembly,look for a loose or missing grub screw on the part in film chamber before you start pulling the camera down.Some cameras have the sprocket lock-screw very visible.My Praktica experience stops with a PrakticaMat in the very distant past.Good Luck Glenn

Richard Platts

Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, thanks for this - very clear. I think from doing the test you describe it's the wind-on train. Thanks for the good luck wishes

Rich

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard in addition to above, a silly question. You have checked that rewind button is not stuck in?I always tend to assume that people have looked at the obvious before asking for technical help;unless some indication is given that they are a novice.

A stuck rewind button/clutch will give the same symptoms.On some cameras the old 'slap on the bottom'by firmly tapping the camera bottom on the palm will impart enough inertia into the mechanism to free it up.So if sprocket assembly freely rotates when shutter is cocked do not assume that, just because button appears to be in normal position,the mechanism is not stuck.As I said I am not familiar with your camera,so do not know if it is possible for the button to be in normal position and rest of mechanism stuck.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration