Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Hi-Matic F: no battery light--typical... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Hi-Matic F: no battery light--typical fix w/o removing leatherette? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I've got a Hi-Matic F in good condition, but for the batt. check light not illuminating.

Those who've worked on this model: What did you do to fix it, and what did that entail?

I haven't taken the camera apart yet, but I'd much prefer not to peel the leatherette off. Getting that far into a camera scares me, to be truthful.

If this problem is caused by a faulty ground wire, as I've read in this forum before, is it possible to just kluge a ground connection straight to the body? Or perhaps would that not allow the auto exposure functions to work?

-CJ

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is correct that on most cameras fed with mercury cells the (-) wire corrodes first. But this is NOT the ground wire! On virtually all cameras I have seen the (+) wire is connected to ground.

On the Hi-Matic F it is not easy to resolder this wire, it is cut rather short and it goes up to the light meter switch under the top cover. If the wire is long enough, you are lucky.

The wire is glued to the body inside, so you can't pull it out after removal of the top cover - you have to remove the front plate together with the lens assembly to get access to the full length of that wire.

I remember it was not easy to reassemble the linkage between the pin in the hot shoe (telling the camera you are using a flash) and the switch on the shutter electronic assembly.

CJ

Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for the information Winfried!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration