Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica Auto S-2 rewind button stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Konica Auto S-2 rewind button stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Dvorak

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just rescued a Konica S-2 from a long period of hibernation. All functions work, except for the rewind button on the bottom of the camera - it is pushed in and will not release.

Result of course is that the film sprocket wheel turns freely and does not transport film. I removed the bottom plate, but cannot see anything that would hinder the return of the rewind button.

Is there anything else I should look for?

Many thanks,

Jan

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If stored with button in, spring may have taken on a slight 'set'.Slap the camera down into the palm of your free hand and see if you can shock the button out. Try with shutter cocked ie normal position for button to be released. If no success try with shutter released. Cannot give you more detailed information as I have never worked on the S-2 .Good luck

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tried that already Glenn, thanks for the input. I even tried to forcibly pull the button out, to no avail. It almost seems as if something is preventing it from being pulled out.

Jan

WernerJB

Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I once encountered the same problem. The button is held in pushed position by a small lever that is spring-loaded and usually returns to release position when the film is wound, but not in the Auto mode when there is no battery in the camera, as then the shutter does not fire and winding in not possible. Try it in manual mode. Maybe, if that does not help, you can try one drop of anti-rust oil to free up the frozen spring.
The shaft of that "button" goes right up to the mechanism under the top cap, maybe there's something wrong there !?

Ed

Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

take the bottom off and look--problem may be obvious.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The bottom has been off since before I turned to this forum for help. Nothing obvious, unfortunately. No difference between manual and auto modes - I can see the spring loaded lever which might hold the rewind button in place, but even when I move it manually, the button will not spring up. Next step will be to remove the top cover.....

Thanks,

Jan

WernerJB

Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 03:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Jan, please let us all know whether you have found a solution to your problem. On several of the cameras similar in design the shaft ends on a spring pushing it down as soon as you operate the advance lever, was that the culprit in your case ?

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Werner,

Sorry - I wish it was that simple. I believe the S-2 was dropped and the impact must have changed the clearances inside the camera. I could eventually pull the rewind button out, but with fair amount of force only, after twisting it around. The rewind button shaft is supposed to slide smoothly inside its hole, but this one did not. The impact damage was quite dificult to see, eventually I found it on the corner of the base plate.

That is why, when the spring released the shaft, the whole kit and kaboodle did not spring out as it was supposed to. Camera is now in my spares bin, waiting for an S-2 in need of reviving...

Kind regards,

Jan

WernerJB

Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 05:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the immediate response, I empathize with you; maybe it is a bit of a consolation to tell you that every now and then things go wrong, no matter how hard you try to prevent this. Not so long ago I had to write off a Canonet, shxt just happens ... .
Let us hope our next projects will be more satisfactory, W.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration