Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Replacing Canon view window Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Replacing Canon view window « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gerard Curley

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone out there ever had to replace their Canon view window? I mean that little piece of glass you look through when focusing (not the viewfinder). I bought a canon AE-1 with a chipped window and find it a pain to focus. Would it just be a matter of taking off the top and replacing this glass? Is that a big job? Would Canon still stock that part? (Canon's service centre for Western Canada is a few miles away from my home). Any advice greatly appreciated. Gerard Curley
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very easy to replace,just take top off and remove the two screws that hold the black frame in place(this is the view finder by the way)Replacing magnifier and frame as complete unit is easiest as there is a metal mask also attached by epoxy.The lens is also held in by epoxy,so can be removed with care and replaced after the mask is carefully removed.The only source of new frames and eyepiece lenses is
www.uscamera.com $7.40 for lens and $6.50 for frame plus $3.50 SH. I have a spare viewfinder which we can haggle over if you wish,Lens is perfect and frame is not badly marked if I remember correctly.However the metal mask is missing(not really missing it is in one of my A1s)so you would have to remove your mask.I just kind of slice them off with a model knife.Mail me direct if you are interested,can give details of top removal as well if needed. Glenn

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration