Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Inner Light Seals Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Inner Light Seals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

WernerJB

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On a numer of cameras I had apart I found inner light seals either around the rear lens element (Yashica Lynxes) or glued to the lens carrier plate or the light dome (Minolta Hi-Matics, Mamiya Super Deluxe) and in every case I somehow managed to improvise replacement. I am, nevertheless, interested how other tinkerers solve the problem of replacing those seals.
Similar to the film chamber light seals the foam that had been glued to the lens carrier/plate has changed into something resembling black sawdust or grime, in other words removal is a must.
But are those protective measures against vagabonding light inside the camera body really necessary ? Which materials can be recommended ?

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I replace them with a high quality self-adhesive foam (like the stuff in the kits I sell). Usually they are there to prevent stray light from entering the rangefinder box. The darker the inside of that area is, the better your rangefinder/viewfinder will work. Additionally, some cameras (Zenit E for one very good example) have serious light leak problems at the left side of the pentaprism. Light leaks in through the meter needle window and runs right into the film chamber. Folks get pictures back which are seriously overexposed and they can't figure out why. I have some images I've made of this problem in case anybody wants to see an example.
Jon

Alex

Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You bet those light seals are necessary. I speak from bitter experience, having been caught out twice. The first time, I thought the shadow streaks on my films were signs of a shutter needing overhaul, which was not cheap when I had it done. Next film through - same problem. It turned out to be perished light seals. I replaced those with strips cut from a rubber mouse mat, and it cured the problem. The second time I was caught out, I'd taken my Nikon abroad, and all the frames were ruined - I'd forgotten to check the seals. I've now gone over all my cameras and checked and replaced the light seals.

The most tedious part is cleaning out the old perished seals, but replacement is straightforward. There are light seal replacement kits you can get easily; if you search on Ebay for seller 'Interslice', you can buy a really good light seal kit for small cost, and the quality of his kits is excellent. I found it less hassle than cutting up mousemats, and these kits include several types of foam, so that you can replace mirror damper foam on SLRs too. You also have the advantage that you're using proper materials for the job.

And I still kick myself at the thought of all those wonderful photographs of Slovenia that are nearly all ruined through light leak.

WernerJB

Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 04:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your responses, have not decided yet to use foam, even if its lifespan exceeds mine (which people had expected of the foamy mess that has now to be removed from all those cameras); I will most probably go on using cloth-like material or black cotton strings of different thickness (thus following the example of antique folder cameras).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration