Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vivitar 28mm aperture wont close down Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Vivitar 28mm aperture wont close down « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just purchased a vivitar 28mm f2 nikon mount lens off ebay. The lens is visually mint, still in box with instructions. But the paerture does not stop down, the aperture ring rotates freely as does the stop down "lever" but the lens stays wide open.

Can anyone advise if this is an easy thing to self fix?

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's reasonably easy, depending on the specific lens. The aperture blades are probably oily and stuck together and need to be cleaned. i can't give specifics for this lens, but generally the front cell can be removed for access to the diaphragm. Sometimes you also need to remove the rear end to clean the actuating linkage.

Kiron Kid

Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's a very commom problem with older Vivitars. The aperture blades have lubricant on them. A CLA, will cure it. What's the serial # on it? I'll tell you who made it for Vivitar, and when. It sounds like the Kiron made lens, and is quite a good one, if it is.

Kiron Kid

alan

Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The serial number is 22113814 it has a 55mm thread.

If the aperture blades are stuck with oil, would the aperture ring and close down lever still move ok?

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alan,

Your lens was indeed made by Kiron, approximately in April 1981.

And yes, the aperture ring and the stop-down lever will move if the blades are sticky with oil. This is a common problem on these lenses; best is to remove both the front and rear lens cells. You will than be able to clean the blades properly and will have access to the aperture linkage as well.

Good luck,

Jan

Alan

Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 01:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your advice Jan.

Can anyone advise how I remove the front and rear lens cells. There appears to be a small screw on the side of the lens near the front filter. Is this what I unscrew to remove the front cell?

Once I get access to the diaphram what should I use to clean it and does it need re-oiling and if so what do I use for this?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration