Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

[Pentax ME] Asa dial sticks Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » [Pentax ME] Asa dial sticks « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

dirk

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 08:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I bought last year an Pentax ME Super.
Works fine, but only the asa dial sticks. It won't turn around anyway.

I looked further on google for some fixtips, someone sprayed any WD40 on it.

Is this recommended?

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dirk,

WD40 was meant for cars, not cameras. The ASA dial will work best without any lubrication at all. Best would be to take it apart, clean it thoroughly and put it together again.

Good luck,

Jan

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The answer is never spray any oils or synthetic lubricants on a camera.WD40 contains a long chain 'wax' that can gum things up.However if you spray a quantity into a shot glass and place in freezer for 24hrs,then decant the liquid you will have a lubricant that I have used successfully as substitute for shutter oil.

Now to your ME,I assume that you are saying the you cannot set ASA.This means that you cannot lift the setting ring to turn it.I have ME in my hands at this moment with stiff dial.This is due to dirt in between the discs.This should be cleaned out not lubricated!Looking at camera it appears that ASA dial is held on by the slotted 'nut' under rewind.If like Canon A series the unit should remove in one piece so that you can flush the dirt out with Naphtha/lighter fluid.

If on other hand you are saying that you cannot set the exposure compensation,then I believe this is due to damaged switch wipers.

I have not pulled a Pentax ME as Canon are my field, but if you cannot find instructions on how to remove ASA dial email me.I will gladly strip the dial off this scrapper so I can give you some pointers.

Glenn

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dirk,

A simple job no surprises,I was interested to see what was involved.The design is a dirt trap so cleaning is the only answer.

The dial comes off easily.Remove rewind knob by placing screwdriver in shaft slot and turning knob counterclock.Set ASA to a known value ie 400 and compensation to nil.Remove the slotted retainer with suitable tool;needle-nose pliers filed down to fit,cheap screwdriver with filed slot can be used.Lift dial straight up and off.On camera note the little movable lever/tag sticking up,mark its position on camera top.This fits in the small SQUARE hole in underside of dial.Flush clean the dial assembly,only use lighter fluid as dial has plastic parts.

Gently wipe the dirt away from the top of camera.On the one I have(serial 1969614)the area around the pivot on body was full of dirt/grit.Carefully clean.Make sure little tag is in correct position.I think the circular metal piece that protudes from underside of dial was originally greased as it rotates over/against a metal component,so apply smallest amount over those little slots.Make sure ASA is set at the original reference.

Now align nil point with red mark and lower dial onto pivot.Make sure raised tag enters square hole.Use thin piece of card to move tag if required.Push down dial assembly to seat and replace retainer.Check dial rotates properly and replace rewind knob.Check camera functions properly.

Note;make sure that you do not latch the door if you have pushed the rewind shaft completely into the housing to unscrew retainer.Can be difficult to get shaft out to open camera back!

Hope this is of some help if you need it, Glenn.

dirk

Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 02:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Thanks a lot for all the feedback !!!
I know that repairing a camera is very delicate job, and i had some questions about using WD-40
Now I'm knowing it's better to leave it on the shelf...

Actually I told you that the asa dial sticks, but that's faulty, the asa dial works fine. It's the over exposure dial that won't turn easily (1/4x, 1/2x, etc.) Probably the owner never used it.It won't turn as easy as the Pentax ME, which I also have.

Greets from Holland

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dirk,

I think that the spot where the 'Cam' that is screwed to ASA dial operates is full of dirt.My info about switch wipers does not seem to be correct but having removed the dial last night,I think that dirt and dried grease may be the likely cause of your problem.Remove dial and you will see what I mean.Clean it out and put spot of grease on that cam thing.The little cut outs ride over a metal actuator,shaped like a triangle.You can easily see it made from blued steel,if you look into the cavity that cam rides in.

Good luck, Glenn.

Don

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the asa comp dial is stiff, remove the teeth assembly & bend the arms up slightly.
Don

dirk

Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 03:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
I disassembly the asadial, and saw no smudge at all. The copper ring inside was a little oxidated, so i cleaned it with some naphtha.
The dial works, but a little crackling, I think that is because i haven't greased it. Which sort of grease do you recommend ?

Greets from Holland

Dirk

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration