Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM-2 stuck film door Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » OM-2 stuck film door « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob D

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a beautiful Olympus OM-2 but the film door won't open when the rewind knob is lifted.

Is there a way to open it without major disassembly?

Thanks,
Bob

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The door is probably just stuck in the rotted foamyrubberytarry light seal stuff around its edges. It's hard to get a grip on an OM2 back because it doesn't overlap anywhere to give you an edge to grab, to try sticking a big chunk of duct tape to the back (being careful not to overlap onto anything other than the back) and leave a big tab hanging out toward the left end to grab onto.... best if the tape is stuck to the camera on both sides of the tab, so that it doesn't just peel back off.....

now pull up firmly on the rewind knob and PULL on the tab, and it will probably open.

Once you've done that, contact Jon Goodman ([email protected]) for one of his neat light-seal replacement kits.

If you can't get the back open this way, the only cause I can think of is a damaged latch - I think this will involve peeling back the leather on the front side of the left seam and pulling out a few screws to disassemble the latch - and possibly removing the top cover to get to the upper end of it to straighten it or whatever it needs. It would take a pretty hefty pull to damage the latch though.....

Bob D

Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 06:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! I will try that.

Bob

George Dean

Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a beautiful Olympus OM2, but it has a problem..
When in "auto" mode, when the shutter is pressed, the shutter doesn't fire, and the mirror locks up (in the way it does when the batteries are dead) and I have to "reset" to clear this.
It works fine in manual mode.
I suspect this is a shutter magnet problem.
Can anyone advise on this please?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration