Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax K1000 jammed Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Pentax K1000 jammed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Santiago Arraga

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I am the proud owner of a excellent condition Pentax K1000, except for two items:

a) The previous owner dropped it and has a dent in the pentaprism; can't do much about it.

b) The camera is stuck. The shutter will not fire. The camera is cocked, so the the cocking lever does not advance. The mirror is down.

I'd be thankful for any ideas!

Ed

Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

remove the bottom cover and look to the side of the tripod socket--there an arm with spring thru a hole--this arm is the mirror cocking arm--make sure it is to the front of the camera--retained there by a chrome lever--if not--push toward front so that it is--dropping may have dislodged it.

Santiago Arraga

Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ed, many thanks for your reply.

You were right; the arm was not retained by the mirror catch lever[1]. Moving the mirror tensioning lever so it is retained allows me to fire the shutter.

Once.

Now, I have two problems:

a) The closing curtain keeps open with the mirror locked up. I can turn manually easily the winding-roller pinion that turns the mirror return gear. When i do it, I see the closing curtain creeping to its resting position. After I end turning it, the mirror return gear trips the mirror catch level, and the mirror goes down. The problem seems that the closing curtain does not go to its rest position.

b) After I manually turn the winding-roller pinion, simulating the rear curtain closing, and letting the mirror drop, i have the camera essentially as if I had just fired the shutter normally. When I am cocking the shutter, the mirror-cocking level starts to push the mirror-tensioning lever to the front of the camera, but it does not push it forward enough in order for the mirror-catch lever to catch it, so it goes down again, without being catched, and not letting the shutter fire. I can push it to the front manually and catch it with the catching lever per your suggestion, and the shutter will fire.

I'll keep digging in the camera repair manual, but as this is the first camera i'm trying to repair, i'd appreciate very much further insights in this problem.

Again, many thanks for your help,
Santiago in Uruguay

[1] I got hold of an old national camera repair manual for the K1000, i'll use its terminology to refer to the pieces, while i'm digesting it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration