Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Agfa record II + canonet 28 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Agfa record II + canonet 28 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jan jamers

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I'm new to this. A week ago I bought 10 old(er) camera's for 10 euros. From searching the internet I've found out that the only really interesting ones are the canonet 28 and an agfa record II. But both have things missing so it could well be wasted money. But maybe not...

I'm new to (old) camera's and hopr my questions are not to trivial.

CAMERA 1: Question one:
The agfa record II looks almost new but there is a right "knob" missing. I tried all functions on the camera (without film) and everything seems to work fine. So can anyone can confirm that this metal button/round knob/ coin like metal round plate right next to the shutter button is not a real button (and thus not neccessary) but merely something to hold/rest your finger or thumb?

Camera 2: Question two:
I searched the repair manuals on this site for a canonet 28, but the closest I could come up with is the canonet QL17GIII. But I'm not sure how much they are alike the 28 on the inside.
The frontpart (with the lens) wasn't placed correctly and had come out a little on one side. The lowest srew (which is one of the three) holding the metal ringplate had come out. It wasn't srewed in anymore and pushed the entire metal ring+plastic upwards.
What I did till now is:
1)Made a tool to unscrew the thin ring that’s srewed inside
2)unscrewed the thin ring (without scratches! I was lucky...)
3)lifted the plastic black "canon inc." thing
4) removed the next ring with the little holes)
4) unscrewed the other two srews and lifted the ,what is it, aluminium,nickle, tin? metal plate (the one in which the first thin ring is swrewed)

At that moment I could just have screwed the three srews correctly and fitted everything together but I decided to clean it while it was open now...

I saw that through the years metal particles were being scraped of the back of the last metal ring when focusing. I thought that metal particles inside a camera housing could give problems. I first thought to blow them away but feared that I might worsen the case by blowing them really in the camera (while they were at that moment only sticking to the back of that metal ring). So I checked if there weren't any loose parts and turned the camera upside down giving it some little taps so that the metal particles would fell out. I succeeded but something else also fell out of the camera, hence my second question:
It looks like part nr: Y13-5258 of the canonet QL17GIII. It's a short shiny metal "tube". 3mm long, 4mm diameter. In the QL17GIII a spring goes over it. Is it normal that anything can fall out when holding it upside down (lens towards the table) or would this point to the fact that there might be more wrong on the inside. Or did I oversee it, when looking for loose parts and was this piece actual installed somewhere more to the front instead of coming from the innerwork.

Any help is welcome.

I posted two pictures to show the piece.
http://groups.msn.com/canonet/canonet28.msnw

Kind regards,

Jan

PS: Since the agfa record II has no range finder I was hoping to use the canonet to the side to determine the settings and then apply to the agfa record II.

charlie

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It doesn't sound like the part that fell out would affect the rangefinder if that's all you want the Canonet 28 for. However, with practice, you should be able to estimate distances and not have to burden youself with a second, otherwise unused camera.

jan jamers

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
thanks charlie, hope you're right.

Today, I went to two photo shops and they said the agfa record 2 was in fine working condition. And the function of the missing "knob" was as I suspected and hoped just to hold your finger. It's now loaded with black and white 120 film. ready to shoot. Very curious about the outcome.

On the canonet I got two different suggestions. Shopkeeper 1 told me nonsense and shopkeeperess 2 suggested to put the bus at the front over the white plastic which holds the spring. Does anyone know if this little metal shiny bus must be on top of the spring or should it be inside the spring. Or is it from somewhere else.
At the moment it's mounted on top over the white plastic wich holds a spring. Seems to be right, but not really sure, because when screwed tight I fear that it might block the spring underneath.

I Also bought a battery, 1,5v though... instead of a 1.35v. I have assembled everything but then noticed that my lightmeter needle won't come out of the underexposure area. With or without batteries it only moves up 1 to 2 mm. So it's not stuck, it only comes up to little even outdoors in sun. I have taken of the front rings again to see what the needle would do. I assumed that without the front rings and discs it should go into overexposure shouldn't? It doesn't, it only goes up 2mm.

I have extensively cleaned the battery poles but no difference. Anyone any idea of what might be wrong.

After assembly and before noticing the needle problem, I just put in a film to see if the rest is working and I can take pictures with and without a flash but of course I have no idea what they will look like. Of course the "a" set won't work since it prevents the shutter from being pressed because the needle is still in the red marking area.

If it has fallen on the floor? What can be wrong in respect to the problem above? And more important what can still be done...

regards,

jan

kevin

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Agfa folders are known for having leaky bellows. It is quite an experience making a new bellows. I've done it for a graphic camera but never tried one as small as a Record. Looks tough. here's a guy that will cla and make a new bellows. its also an informative site for old folders.

http://www.certo6.com/

jan jamers

Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi kevin,
thanks for the link! Nice site!

According to the shopkeeper I visited yesterday the belows of my agfa record II are remarkably well preserved and almost look like new. So no leaks at all. The shopkeeper had a record himself and tested mine for leaks. It's working fine!

The real problem is the canonet 28: after solving the previous problems (described above) the exposure needle does not go up more than 1 to 2 mm, not even in daylight. Any idea why? And what can be done. Can it be bad battery poles? Does it need batteries for that? Since with the shutter halfway the needle goes up a little even without a battery.

jan jamers

Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found this on the archives:

A fine tuning can be done with a screw linking the needle capture disk to the transfer mechanism. This screw protrudes through a slot in one of the copper coloured levers. It has an excentric base, and when turning it the relative position of the needle capture lever and the blade actuating lever is changed a bit. Do not turn it too much since it also affects movement of the needle pressure disk. In the extreme position the needle pressure disk moves too far and will hold down the rear end of the meter needle permanently. If you have to turn the screw too much so that this happens turn it backward 1/2 turn and repeat step #2.

Although it's hard to understand in english maybe someone her can tell me if this can be the solution to my problem with the canonet? Please see my picture of the partially opened front of the lens to tell me if I have access to that srew. I'm not sure to what (excentric) screw he is referring.

http://groups.msn.com/canonet/canonet28.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=2

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration